dan armstrong ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Aug 18, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    are those basses any good. i saw a live clip of thin lizzy and phil lynott had one. it looked pretty sweet.
  2. yea I definitely like how the lighting makes it change colors and stuff...but I've never ever seen one in person either........

anyone know how much they go for?...just outta sheer curiousity.
  3. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    They're not common. Never were.

I don't know what the going price is, typically, because they come up so rarely.

People who do have them seem to hold them in pretty high esteem.

The last one I saw up close was over thirty years ago when I was talking with the bass player of Cold Blood (remember them?).
  4. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i see them on ebay from time to time. the question is do they sound good?
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Dan Armstrongs are tonally on the muddy side; short scale, single pickup, wooden saddle bridge (similar to a Danelectro).

The originals were made in the USA by Ampeg roughly from 1969-1970 and can easily be found used for about $1000.

There are also a very few custom built ones Armstrong made with wooden bodies after parting ways with Ampeg (Bill Wyman of the Stones used one). These are quite rare and worth more $$$$.

Ampeg reissued the Dan Armstrong a few years ago (overseas made) both with the clear bodies and with wooden bodies. The wooden body models use totally different electronics (Duncan MM style pickups) and bridges. The reissues have been discontinued, many dealers blew out the wood body models for about $300 so used prices range from $3-500 for wood bodies, $600 and up for clear bodies.
  6. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i am not so sure you saw correctly. phil played a rick in the early days of lizzy then stuck with the fender p bass for well over a decade then ended up with the ibanez roadstar. out of the 100s of photos and vids i have seen, the only other bass i saw him play was a BC Rich Warlock in the video for 'do anything you wanna do', in which they were paid some $$ to use the BC's in the video.
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The very first bass I ever owned was a fretless Dan Armstrong short scale with a lucite body. It had a killer sound at the time (late 70's). By today's standards it would probably be considered "muddy" sounding though. Not very brilliant, and also very little fundamental in the extreme low registers. But, it has a good solid "thump" for classic rock and metal. Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath is the one who made this bass famous (or at least put it on the map). And he was one of my rock 'n' roll bass playing idols when I was growing up (that was long before I discovered Jaco and Stanley). Yesterday I saw one at GC in pristine condition with original hard shell case for two grand. So that probably means they're worth about a grand on the open market. The pickups themselves will usually fetch two or three hundred bucks on eBay, they're very rare and they're the only ones that'll fit into that bass (originally they made a couple of different kinds of pickups that you could swap in and out, but they had an unusual three prong connector that you don't find on other basses). As far as feel and playability, I loved that bass. It was the only bass that I ever completely wore out, when I got done with it the rosewood fingerboard was a complete basket case. Finally traded it to someone for an ounce of... oops, can't say that. If I found one for a reasonable price today, I might think seriously about picking it up, just 'cause they're very rare these days, and they will definitely acquire some collectors' value over the next ten years or so.