1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dan Briggs of Between The Buried And Me

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Sound Chaser, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Does anyone else think this guy might be the best metal bassist to come along in the last 20 years or so?

2. i think the band as a whole is amazing. i'm really not usually into that tech stuff but i've seen them live and enjoyed every minute of it and their cover of colorblind by the counting crows proves they can be amazing at anything they want.

3. He's one talented player in a very talented band. I can't wait till I can get their new album.

4. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    The whole band is incredibly versatile. I really dig their stuff.

5. purduebass

purduebass \m/ Metal User \m/

Sep 27, 2006
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Endorsing Artist: Chaz Farkass Basses
    This guy is absolutly amazing. His basslines are insanely melodic and he can play so many notes without losing feel. Check out their album studio update on youtube to see his bass solo from "Colors"
    Anyone know where to find transcriptions of some of his lines without figuring them out by ear?

6. Raiven

Raiven

Nov 28, 2005
    He has become my new obsession. His playing on Colors is just amazing and rediculously clean.

There are BTBAM transcription books that they have for sale on tour with them both in guitar and bass flavours.

7. purduebass

Sep 27, 2006
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Yeah, Colors is quite nice, especially his playing on Viridian. Whenever they come this way on tour I'm going to have to grab one of those transcription books.

8. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I bought a copy of it when I saw them. Working on Selkies at the moment. :bassist:

9. shannons

shannons

May 29, 2007
    W. Seattle, WA
    Endorsing artist: Ampeg
    The guy's playing is just intense. He's what John Myung has been striving to be all this time. Yeah, I said it. ;)

10. purduebass

Sep 27, 2006
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Yeah, all I know so far from that is the main 7/8 riff, but I really want to learn the rest.

11. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Dan is a monster. I can't wait to get a hold of the songbook to learn to play his little ditty in Viridian. Hell learning to play to the whole album would certianly make me a much better player.

He's the only string player in the band that any sort of presence on stage too. While the two guitarists are statuesque, he at least grooves about abit on the Spector of his. What makes it all the more humorous is that I swear he looks like he's 12 years old! :D

12. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yea, like being in a metal band that's actually cool.

:bag:

where's that flame-suit at... ;)

13. Insanely talented band. Their bassist is so good, it's almost depressing, one of the most creative bassist in metal. I sometimes get the feeling he is too good to be playing that type of music, I'd like to hear him as the center of attention. Anyway, I can't wait for the new album.

14. He is quite amazing, I have heard one of their songs of the new album...sincerely mind blowing. Dan is by far one of my favorite bassists, and that tone he gets! amazing!

15. davefarrell

davefarrell

Aug 30, 2006
    i read in bass player magazine that he has a degree in jazz. which doesn't surprise me at all. The new album is great; they did it again. and they are the only heavy band i still listen to now and days.

16. shannons

shannons

May 29, 2007
    W. Seattle, WA
    Endorsing artist: Ampeg
    ;) NO worries. I'm a monster DT fan as well. I'm just saying that Dan is way up in that caliber of playing.

17. What bass solo?

18. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, just the other day, Dan published the Alaska songbook for bass, and it has transcriptions for a few other songs from past albums. Check it out here.

I know that their guitarist is a song away from finishing the guitar songbook for Colors, and I'm fairly certain that Dan will release one for Colors as well.

He has a bass solo in "Viridian," the 7th track on Colors.

19. purduebass

Sep 27, 2006
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Yeah, I just saw the book yesterday! I'm probably going to have to grab that.
    And Viridian is beyond amazing!

20. I tried to get into this band but was put off by the cheese factor. Listening to their new stuff on their myspace now, sounds rather good indeed, still a tad cheesy but not as much, and the bass playing is obviously excellent.