Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dan electro dc

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thewalrus81, Sep 19, 2003.

1. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    ive been thinking about getting a new guitar and i was looking at the dan electro dc
    does anyone have one?

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    me.

I like a lot. Hodad is even more fun.
    Have you seen a DC for sale somewhere?
    They are discontinued now.

3. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
  4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    yeah, I've got one of each of the reissues; longhorn, hodad, DC.
    I'm pretty sure they're not available anymore, they just never update that Dan site.
    They sound great, feel comfortable (lightweight) and look pretty cool.
    Any specific questions about them?

If you do get one, glue the strap button in, they pop out REALLY easily. You don't want that happening at a gig!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    if there not being made any more then my only question would be where do you think i could get one?

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    ebay or internet dealers. I'll look some up, but heading off to a gig now. I'm sure you'll get some feedback from others too. Do an internet search on the model names and you'll probably find some for sale.

7. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    alright
    will do

thanks

8. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    anyone else have thoughts about dan electro?

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i had 2 hodads, just sold one out of desperation. i think they are the most underrated basses that were ever on the market. one of the reason i think this is true is because they used to stock them with really crappy setups and strings. i remember picking them up from time to time and thinking, "whoah, these feels like crap" and just hanging it back up on the wall. i was also told by some misinformed sales person who thought he knew everthing that the trussrods weren't adjustable. not true. you just have to take the neck off to do it like with the old fenders.

reasons i LOVE the hodad - it had more punch and bottom than my P-bass deluxe which cost me about $800 more. it's super lightweight. it looks really cool. it's really versatile - you can get tons of sounds out of it. it has a thin fast neck. it's comfortable to play. you can make it feedback like a guitar if you want because of it's semi hollowed body. they have a really unique sound and a personality all of their own.

most of the above holds true for the DC bass also, except the versatility. the DC has one less pickup. the hodad has a pickup selector switch which you can choose any combination of pickups from.

downsides to the dano - all of which i can live with. people say the machine heads are cheap. they probably are, but they work perfectly and the bass never goes out of tune. not sure why people get into a funk over cheap heads. the tailpiece/bridge leaves a little to be desired. on both my hodads they were down as low as they could possibly go - which is optimal for the low setup i like, but i'm a little distressed by the fact that if wanted i couldn't bring it down even lower. the tone control works almost more like an on/off switch than gradual knobe. it's like "bass" and 3/4 of the way up "treble" kicks in. it can be noisy at times - the 3 lipstick pickups cause a decent amount of noise if the amp you're using isn't grounded properly, or if the bar yer playing has a neon light hanging over you. others times it's been totally quiet.

i paid around $300 for my first hodad, 2nd one i got for $99 when sam ash (or musicians friend -don't remember)had a blowout sale. i'm kicking myself in the head for not buying a bunch of them.

if you bought a dano, i'd go for the hodad. they pop up from time to time on ebay - but they are a little hard to come by. if you're patient i'm sure you'll find one. people sell them for all different prices - you can definitely get one for under $200.

10. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    so youd definitly go with a hodad over a dc?

11. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    are dan electros durable?

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    depends how you treat them. They're not the most sturdy basses out there, they're hollow- that's part of where the tone comes from. But they have been used in lots of different styles of music and they hold up pretty well.

The Hodad is a great bass for what it is. Very versatile tone-wise. Not 'fragile,' but I wouldn't abuse one either. If you can't find a Hodad, a DC is very respectable. I would warn that both models tend to neck dive a little bit. You can adjust for that by how you wear the bass and the kind of strap you use.

13. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    what kind of prices do you think i would get from an internet dealer ?

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
  15. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
  16. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    how does the DC due in high volume clubs. I just bought a DC for $200:D I would very have guess I'd be excited about a $200 bass:p

17. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    'fat mike' seems to do OK with his, and he's gigging with it in a pretty intense punk situation. NOFX, is it?
    I think it's more up to your amp than the bass in these circumstances...

18. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Xush,
    you know your punk music. when I get my DC i think i'm going to put some TI flats on her

19. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    heh, why thanks! Back when I was drumming for Spastic Fury, I was more in the know. Those were the heady days of Bad Brains, and I think Fugazi was just starting out. We got to open for Faith No More once, that was a pretty weird gig back then...

So where did you find the DC? As you can see there's some folks still looking for the reissues out there. What's yours look like?

20. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    i bought mine off gand old ebay it's a reissue black sprakle. there is a yellow DC reiissue on ebay right now..