Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dan Electro owners...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    While messing up my Hodad by defretting it, I noticed something that I'm really surprised I hadn't noticed before. The tailpiece/bridge was sitting on TOP of the 2 front screws while the back screw was threaded through it. I had to take out the 2 screws and screw the piece in correctly. I only mention this because I own 2 hodad, purchased a year apart, in different states - and they were both set up the same (clearly) incorrect way. I wonder if they're all like that? Please check and let me know. Thanks.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Joe - My Longhorn's that way, which is actually correct, but with a reason... The string tension presses the front of the bridge down onto the tops of the screws, which are used to set the height... If you look at the underside of the bridge, the holes are cut in such a way that they actually 'grab' onto the screw heads and are definitely not going anywhere... Setup is fairly similar to the three-point Gibson bridges. Not the most adjustable around, but hey... they're all about cheap, unique tone, which my Longhorn has in spades. Hmmm... Maybe I'll drag it out to the gig this weekend :D

-robert

3. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah, my old DC is like that too, doesn't bother me.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I took the bridge off and noticed that what you say is true. The thing with mine that was odd I guess was that it wasn't sitting properly on the screws. There was also room to drop the action a little more, yet the saddles were flat against the bridge. By putting the screws in through the top I was able to actually raise the saddles a bit, and still get the action I wanted. I guess the bridge can go either way.

I agree on the tone of these things too. My hodad has incredible thump and growl, with enough high end to really cut through. I absolutely LOVE these basses. The only throwback for me is that the neck seems less stable than my high end basses, and in order for me to adjust it (which I have to do every change of season) I have to take the whole thing off. I'm concerned about possibly stripping the neck joint screws one day from pulling them in and out so much. I guess I can deal with that if it happens.