1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dan Kurtz rig

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by anastasio24, Apr 19, 2009.

1. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    A friend of mine recently played some live clips from The New Deal. Their bassist, Dan Kurtz gets some crazy tones. I know he used to use a Roland VBass but from the pictures I have found, he seems to be using a Fender Jazz with no mods that I can see so I am guessing that he is just using the effects on the vbass if he is still using it.

Can anyone shed some light on his pedal board?

2. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I actually did load out for a new deal show about a year ago and he had a crazy rig. I'm talking like, 3 moogerfoogers including the lowpass filter and freqbox with many, many expression pedals, and then a couple other things. I mainly remember the moogers and should have taken pictures, wish i could remember more.

My friends who were out in the crowd said he created a tone that "sounded like a chainsaw", im assuming that was the freqbox.

3. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I want to say he also had an OC-2 octave pedal, now that im thinking about it

4. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
  5. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    pretty rad music. which album would you guys recommend for a first time buy?

6. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    yea see, when I saw it his pedalboard was a couple different sections, another moogerfooger and about 4 or 5 of the Moog ep-1 expression pedals

7. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    I would download some shows from archive.org. The band allows taping and there are a lot of free recordings floating around. They are best live.

8. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    I am certain you are correct about the expression pedals. Surely someone here has knowledge of this rig...

9. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    The new deal experience was best live, but I still prefer 'this is live', their first show.

They break it down nice and it can be obvious when they are communicating onstage about where to go next. great atmosphere.

Their other records sound better to most people but it is awesome to hear what drum fx can do for a live performance. Spot the bassballs!