Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dan Lakin appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by allan grossman, May 14, 2003.

1. I ordered a couple sets of strings from Lakland Direct a couple weeks back. To make a long story short, I ordered stainless and got nickel strings.

I saw the error as soon as I opened the package but decided to put one set on anyway as I'd never tried Lakland's nickel strings. Didn't like 'em and took them right back off.

I emailed Dan Lakin and told him about the error, that I'd already installed one set of strings, that I knew they were the wrong strings when I installed them and that I'd keep both sets but thought he might wanna know someone screwed up an order.

Today I got two 5-string sets of Lakland stainless strings in the mail.

That's customer service at it's best.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Awesome! I love companies that care.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    the stories allways make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

maybe if i buy a lakland five string bass and they mess up my order, they will send me two more? :D ;)

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I get to talk to the guys at Lakland on an almost daily basis (John more often than Dan, but both are awesome): First rate guys, and first rate company making first rate basses.

....even though John is a g*$&#*%^t, he's a good egg.

;)

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Dan is the man! Not only does he ask players for advise, he actually listens! Plus he builds a DAMN GOOD product! I also dig his dry, self depreciating wit.

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Woodie, you should see the D4-94 that "El Jefe de Bajo Centralia" just scored:

Burl Myrtle top over Ash body, Sienna Burst finish, 3 piece flamed maple neck, lined fretless ebony fingerboard with bird's eye dots.

:eek:

It was a "one-off" bass that they offered to the B-man, and he jumped on it.

Uh-may-zing!

:D

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    On a Lakie?! Holy cow!

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Aye...and to top it off, in addition to being the most beautiful, it's the nicest playing Lakie fretless I've ever laid hands on - just don't have enough strings!

;)