1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dan Lakin Interview w/ clip of new basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by UpperBout, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpperBout

UpperBout Supporting Member

Dan Lakin Interview w/ sound clips of new basses

2. h2otorched

h2otorched

Jun 21, 2014
    SoCal
    Thanks Dinosaur Punk!
    Well, there have been a few posts considering D. Lakin's basses, even fewer basses have gotten into
    hands to be tried out, so, hearing one in a video is very helpful. The D. Lakin is my GAS object of desire!

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a nice promo clip. Dan Lakin sounds good, but he needs to work on those chops do he can play like Sterling Ball!

If they ever make fives, I will drive up to Chicago and check them out.

4. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Threw Skylines right under the bus... admits that people want Js & Ps... thinks hes giving us a 3k bass for 1k, says a comfortable neck is comfortable for everybody

His innovations? No neck plate because you can hear the difference & a thicker neck at the nut because all fenders will crack & break off there in 20 years

That's what makes his bass really worth 3k and he's doing us a favor chopping costs to offer it for 1200?

YOU PEOPLE CAN"T SERIOUSLY BELIEVE THIS STUFF !!!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  5. leroy diamond

leroy diamond Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2005
    ireland
    :) Just checked my 1964 Fender Jazz and the neck is as solid as a rock. The neck plate is going in the bin:bassist:

6. SRFSterling5

SRFSterling5

Sep 24, 2011
    Hawaii
    I a ire his determination, but in a crowded market of clones and almost clones, you gotta be pretty innovative to get noticed and have people plunk down the cash. If he had something when he was at Lakland, which are incredible basses, why would you leave that to become another J or P bass clone? I would seriously reconsider that headstock.

7. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    It is a useful video. If people watch it and find themselves nodding in agreement and excited about the instruments, then they should investigate further and perhaps buy one. If people watch it and instead are shaking their heads or rolling their eyes, then they know to not waste their time and spend their money elsewhere. Lots of choices out there and plenty of ways to get information about those choices...

Musicman20 and hdracer like this.
  8. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Nice video and a cool read of Dans history on the web site. I'm not really his target customer but I wish him luck.

9. lol I don't buy the neck plate thing.

I took his point about the cracking headstock area, as a reference to the earliest Fender Jazz basses having a tendency to crack at the E string tuner, which many actually did. If he was referring to something else, then I don't know what he means.

I do think it's possible to get his basses to play as well as a USA Lakland.... IF someone qualified were to spend the necessary time tweaking the setup. The basic elements are there for it, but I doubt they'll arrive from Korea in such an optimal state. Then again, maybe they will if he pays the manufacturer enough.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    fender68 likes this.
  10. Yeah...baffling isn't it!

11. h2otorched

h2otorched

Jun 21, 2014
    SoCal
    You know, sometimes you just want to play a comfortable bass with good tone in a cool color.
    Innovation? Go play a Chapman Stick. Yeah, Dan drove the bus over Skylines, reversed gears,
    and backed over them again. He sold the company he co-founded to an investor group, so, he's
    wants to call them out. That's called marketing, (and revenge). From the video the bass sounded good,
    and the more I see the headstock, the more I like it.
    Face it, imo, most Fender headstocks dive like a submarine...maybe all that extra wood really
    isn't helping with the tone, it's might be making it harder to play when standing up.

12. brad houser

brad houser

Jan 4, 2008
    I played the candy apple red P that Ed Friedland has at the moment. one of the best P's I've ever played. super-lively. perfect neck shape, like a slightly smaller early 60's C shape. amazing instrument, light, and well-balanced.

fender68 likes this.
  13. brad houser

brad houser

Jan 4, 2008
    no neck dive on the one I played. WAY better than any Skyline I ever played (D Lakins have graphite rods in the neck), and as good as the American Laklands that I played. this thing rocks.

fender68 likes this.
  14. Don't know what Fenders you've been playing but only one of mine ever had dive...and that's because it was an Agathis body Squier...

15. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

Dec 13, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Having played a bunch of D. Lakin's Preach to a lot of what he's said.

Having it a little thinker behind the nut makes it stronger.... There is more wood, makes it stronger, less of a chance of cracking. I haven't seen many vintage fenders with cracks behind the neck, but he does it as precautionary.

There is no neck plate. That is actually a smart idea. If you haven't had the change to compare the same bass one with and one without a neck plate, you'd be shocked. Neck plates suck life and tone out of instruments, it's so dumb that they are even a thing. Fender keeps them because it's 'traditional', but you don't see boutique instruments with plates, unless their going for 'traditional'.

He sells direct.... From him to you. You tell him all the options you want that he offers, and he makes it happen. It's less expensive than a store.

Now compared to skyline.... Personally the necks feel better, the bodies are generally lighter, and the hardware is better. Out of my experience and it might not be for everybody, but how would you know unless you played one??? He did kind of being down the skyline series, but the whole idea of the skyline is to make a compromise to bring the price down! This isn't a compromise anymore.

They're just great instruments and you just gotta play one. No use it bringing them down unless you know what's up.

16. I'm legitimately interested in how this happens.

hover and Dominic DeCosa like this.
  17. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

Dec 13, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    It's astounding. There is a reason that lakland, sadowsky, Skjold, F basses, everybody! (Except Copollo)

I don't know exactly how it works, but it's crazy. I'm thinkin it's kind of like a resonance pad on the only connection from the body to neck.

If you see The super early Laklands, like first year lakies, they have neck plates, but until they started making 5ers they played around with it, and found out it the strings wouldn't sing until the neck plate came off.

18. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Dan isn't the only one who believes neck plates can cause sound erosion . -- there's been discussion about his in many online forums for years. Many people also believe that using a gasket between the neckplate and body, ala some Fenders, cause sound degradation. I have seen a few Fenders with cracked headstocks, but I haven't seen enough Fenders to know how prevalent that is. Beliefs -- on everything from religion to what constitutes the best-tasting chili -- are based on personal experience The proof is in the playing. Until more people have had a chance to play Dan's new basses, there's not enough experience on which to base opinions. Everyone has an opinion, and if yours doesn't align with someone else's, it doesn't necessarily mean that either opinion is BS.

19. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    Neck plates suck the life and tone out of instruments??? I guess all those vintage Fenders and early Sadowskys have crappy tone. This is one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time.

hover and Pimmsley like this.
  20. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Well said.

If he roasted the 55-02/55-94 I would have thought he was just being bitter or was an idiot, but he didn't go there at all.

He has arguments about the neck plate and headstock thickness that aren't easy to quantify. I didn't take it as he thought Leo Fender was wrong, but just a builder trying to make the original design better and/or differentiate himself.

Even though I don't think the world needs more P or J clones, I would give one of his basses a chance and buy one if it sounded and played great.

I don't think he came across badly at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.