Dan Snyder / Danny Heatley

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by metallicarules, Oct 11, 2003.

1. For those of you who aren't familiar with the story it is here: http://nhl.com/onthefly/news/2003/10/153904.html

I feel very sorry for the family of Dan Snyder and all his friends/teammates, but what I wanted to discuss was Danny Heatley's future.

I've heard several people express their opinions on what an appropriate punishment should be, and many people seem to think Heatley should spend a significant time in prison.

I am strongly opposed to this. While Heatley was very irresponsible, I do not think sending him to jail would achieve anything. I think some people have lost sight of why people are sent to jail. Danny Heatley is not a dangerous person that needs to be locked up, and prison is certainly not going to "rehabilitate" him. Even though I am sure the guilt he is experiencing now is worse than anything the law could do to him, he does still need to be punished. However, the punishment should be related to the crime. For starters, it would be appropriate if his drivers licence were suspended for a number of years. Second, since he is a professional athlete, and a superstar in the NHL, he is a role model for many young people across the continent. Given this position, if Heatley, as part of his sentence, were to travel around Canada and the USA to talk to high school kids about his experience I think that would be very worthwhile. I know, most kids probably wouldn't listen, but around here we've had a number of fatal car accidents involving teenagers in the past few months, and if a few of these type of accidents can be prevented, then at least something good may have come out of Dan Snyder's untimely death.

What are your opinions?
  2. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

That would be a great thing to do IMO. Given the fact that most people would listen to an NHL superstar, I feel that this kind of "punishment" would benefit himself AND society. He is definitely not a dangerous criminal, he just had somewhat of a "bloated" head, and he's pretty young and inexperienced.

Saying that, he needs to be punished somehow for his actions. I just don't think anybody will benefit by sending Heatley to jail for 3-15 years.

Just my opinion.:bassist:

Edit: jeez, how could I forget. RIP Dan Snyder, and I give my best wishes to Snyder's family, friends and teammates on his former team. I'm rooting for the Thrashers to win their division.:cool:
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I dunno, guys.
    I had this good friend that was a huge local celebrity(morning DJ shock-jock). He got so big here, he truly believed he was invincible(i.e Slava's "Bloated Head-syndrome")
    Idotic(but harmless)behaviour to drugs to getting the radio station fined to writing his own painkiller subscriptions(the result of several vehicle accidents)...all were merely punishable by "Community Service". Guess what? That's exactly what he wanted! More good/bad publicity only fed his cause.

When he did fall, he fell hard & fast.
    Needless to say, he's not with us anymore.
    I always said & still believe if had done time he woulda straightened his ass out. It's moot now.

So, back to Heatley.
    If alcohol was not a factor(as they're saying), I guess he'll be spared a criminal charge...he will have other demons to deal with, though.
    If alcohol was a factor, sorry, IMO, he would have to do time.
    My point I was making about my friend-
    Celebrity-types shouldn't be treated any 'better'(or 'worse')than Joe Q. Public.
    A couple years incarcerated could do wonders(especially for these chronic offenders we always seem to read about).

BTW, prison is not just for rehabilitating...it's also for punishment.
  4. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Yeah, they're saying alcohol wasn't a factor, which definitely helps his cause...

I agree that these celebrities shouldn't be treated any better, but IMO something good and helpful can come out of this incident if it is taken care of appropriately. The way I see it, it was a car accident that happened because these 2 stars were feeling invincible and did something stupid, with terrible consequences. Unless I don't know something (which is fine; I'm not the real judge here:D ) Heatley's not a dangerous criminal, but that said, he MUST be punished somehow.

Suspend his license, make him do presentations to young adults about the dangers of driving, but jail will ultimately waste his talent, hurt his team, and wouldn't help anybody. The way I see it, the guy's probably never going to break any speed limits again... He's already got quite a black cloud over his conscience.hmm:

Again, just my opinion.
  5. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I think the challenge would be treat him the same as anyone else under the law. If this was just some guy, what would typically happen? Would Joe Average face the full force of the law, or would he be able to plea down to some community service and the loss of his drivers license for a time? Heatley should face the same sort of punishment as anyone else would in that position in that state. I'm not sure that anyone here or in the media has a full account of what happened when this tragedy occured. Just because he wasn't drunk doesn't mean that he wasn't engaged in some other form of criminal negligent behaviour such as driving very recklessly. Ultimately we'll have to examine the details of the case as they emerge.
  6. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    It was an accident, for Christ's sake. Cut the poor guy some slack. He is suffering plenty on his own.