Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dance, anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pkr2, Jan 26, 2003.

1. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I'm just wondering if I'm the only bassist in the world that is VERY uncomfortable when trying to dance.

I know that as bassists we are supposed to have super senses of rhythm but I feel like I have two left feet when I try to dance.

I can play in front of a thousand people and be totally at ease but when I attempt to dance I feel that everyone in the place is looking directly at me and giggling.

Oh, I've tried. I've had people try to teach me and give up. I have no sense of rhythm in my feet whatsoever. I don't even pat my foot when I play.

Anyone else with this problem?

Pkr2

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you give me a ballroom situation, where there are specific dances, and specific steps, I'm king of the hill. Get me into the average party or dance, where I'm supposed freestyle or just "go with the music" I'm a sunk duck. I'm no Elaine (from Seinfeld) when I dance, but it's obvious I'm not comfortable, and even mor obvious that I suck at dancing.

But I'm good at slow dancing! :D

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    You are not the only one!

I too suffer from this unfortunate problem.

I can tap my feet etc. when I´m playing, but when it comes to dancing, I suck. I too feel like everyone is watching my every move and critisizing it.

This must be a bassist syndrome

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Im also a "freestyler"

I have never learned a choreography and I have no special moves to impress the ladies :(

5. i'm good at funny-dancing. like, i'll be at a show of my friend's crappy pop-punk band, and i'll start bouncing around, shakin' my feet, doing a little mock-swing dance. all the people laugh.
    course, they laugh at me when i'm not dancing too.

6. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I'd say I'm an OK dancer. Being a bass player helps, because you can feel the rhythm easier than non-musicians.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I truly stink at dancing, with the exception of the "hug & sway" style of slow dancing.

I'm intensely self-conscious about it, and it is a real problem - it is a minor contributing factor to my difficulties with my marriage even. My wife (estranged at this point) thinks my hesitation to publicly dance with her means that I'm embarassed to be seen with her, and it shows that I don't really love her.

Guys, get over it, the girl/woman you love doesn't CARE if you dance well, they just want you to show that you are proud to be in public with them.

If I ever get my wife back in my life (I am still refusing after 9 weeks to give up!), I will make it a point to get over my fear of dancing.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    get me enough beer and i'm fred estaire!

or at least, i THINK i am :)

9. I can swing dance! WOOO!

I can also make my sexy body go "bump bump bump"

I think I'm a decent dancer.

I highly reccommend every try out DDR! Its a great game and you'll get one hell of a work out.

10. Forgot to add, I can burn the floor when I'm skanking!

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

that game is the dumbest thing i've ever seen!!! my 18yr old brother and his friends all got the little mats for it and waste hours on that game!

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I can waltz, fox-trot, polka, two step, box step, hard step (well, not so much) with the best of them. If they are marginal.

But when it comes to "club dancing", i.e., grinding pelvises and flailing arms, I am not the greatest. When I realized everyone else around me was drunk and not really noticing me, though, it became a lot easier.

It's still hella fun, though. :D

13. Tsk, tsk, tsk....

You just don't understand.

:D

14. Around here its known as the whiteboy syndrome :D

15. I dance, suprisingly well... it's just I don't because I feel like a complete jerk when I do. The times I do actually dance are when I just don't care anymore, or hidden behind a bass. Maybe I'm just paranoid and use my bass as a safty blanket. Oh no! A revelation! :rolleyes:

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I dance a mean robot.
    Seriously, thats the one dance that I feel pretty good with(I'm still working on it, but I'm making progress)

I know some break dancing moves, but I am not very good at executing them

and I have been taught the basic ballet steps :)

overall, I'm not terrible, but I am with bigfeet( :Dwelcome back!) I feel like a jerk when I dance.

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yep. There must be an epidemic of that here in the south!
    Alcohol may not be very good for you for alot of reasons, but it sure does help you be a better dancer!

18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    HAHAHAHAHA

19. awww...cute....

20. huh, what?