Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dance beat??

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Radon, Jan 17, 2001.

1. Radon

Radon

Jan 17, 2001
    I've been playing rock for quiet a while, but now I want to try a little dance music. I've been listening to a lot of house and rave, but most of them just have a boring synth bass sequence.

What should I take into account to make cool "make-you-wanna-dance" bass lines?

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    There is only 1 thing you need concern yourself with - THE GROOVE. Lock into the bass drum and hang on for the ride. I know my answer sounds simple and a bit flip, but I could not be more serious. The groove comes from the drive the drums and bass provide. The more solid you are the better. The more you can shake the floor the better. Hope this helps

Mike

3. Radon

Radon

Jan 17, 2001
    I've noticed, by listening to the radio, that the greatest similarity among house music is the bassdrum kicked on every whole note, and the bass seems to mainly play in the counter beat (in between the bassdrum) and not much at the same note.

I don't hear a lot of bands playing very melodic lines on the base, and it looks like all they do is play whole and half notes.

Can you recommend some band I can listen to that has some interesting dance bass lines?

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Radon- Mike is right. In fact, I kind of drive the drummer. I mean, if the drummer wasn't there, people would still have a beat to dance to.

Anyway, I came from rock, punk, and blues groups and in the past several years have been playing in two bands- one does rave/trance/tachno/trip-hop and another that does the club/dance/pop rock thing. I'm talking about the more traditional, US dance/club scene.

Here are a FEW artists who made old standards where you can hear living, breathing bassists and still get a rise out of people. Check out stuff by-

> "Aaron's Party (Come n' Get It)"- is hot these days, by Aaron Carter;
    (the rest are "oldies" that still cut it)
    > Average White Band
    > Hall & Oates
    > Parliament Funkadelic ("Atomic Dog" has a entire line dance devoted to it that hard core clubbers know how to do)
    > Was Not Was ("Walk the Dinosaur" gets all of `em on the floor)
    > B-52's
    > Commodores
    > Chaka Khan
    > KC and the Sunshine Band
    > Kool & the Gang

BPM's don't always mean that much these days since bass often does it's lines between the beats.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 01-18-2001 at 09:47 AM]

5. Radon

Radon

Jan 17, 2001
    Thax, MIKE & RiCKBASS1

I appreciate your replies. I will listen to some of the bands you've listed. I have heard most of them but never tried to play one of their songs.

I will give it a try.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Mike,

When you say lock in with the kick drum, what exactly do you mean? Play the same rhythmic pattern? Play a pattern against the kick drum pattern? Can you elaborate?

Phil

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thax, MIKE & RiCKBASS1

I appreciate your replies. I will listen to some of the bands you've listed. I have heard most of them but never tried to play one of their songs.

I will give it a try.

Good! May not be as easy as the simple melodies and beats might lead one to think. Hope your pulls, hamner ons, and slaps are in good shape. :D

8. Radon

Radon

Jan 17, 2001
    I sure hope so...

If not I'll have to work on them. I can always spend half my life reading the postings on how to slap and the other half trying to do it ;)

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Start simple. Play with the kick drum. A nice low, earth shattering, solid note. Play right on the beat. Accentuate the "1". That IS the place to start. Embellish from there.

Mike

10. Get John Pattituccis tape on grooves, clue you are not always the servent of the drummers right foot.

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Absolutely true. There are many ways to set up a killer groove. also check out Lincoln Goines and Robbie Ameen's Funkifying the Clave. Let us get back to the question - Radon wants to START playing Dance/Groove oriented music. He needs, at this point, to develop a repertoire of styles nd techniques. I recommend to start simple. IT works and is effective. Once a good foundation is developed, then get into the more advanced materials

Mike