1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dancing in the Moonlight effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheRockinRoadie, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Hey Effects Forum gang,

I did some research but i coulnt find any infomation about it. What effect does Phil Lynott use on the track Dancin' in the Moonlight? Is it a kind of Phaser or chorus?

Im interested :smug:

2. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    I've been listening to this song lately, and I've been wonding the same!

Must be a Phaser or chorus of some sort. Phase 90 maybe? I've seen many bassist used one. No real clue though.

3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

Really sweet sound...IMO: phaser.

4. Yeah i was wondering if it was a phaser with a long rate but a low sweep. Its kinda envelop-ish too. I'll mess around and see if i can get a close sound with a chorus

5. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Might be a flanger.

6. Yeah possibly, comes from that timeframe!

7. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    always though it was a phaser, and used one myself while covering it, but i was told round here that its a flanger. same as waiting for an alibi.

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Nah, it's gotta be a phaser. Waiting for an alibi sounds like a flanger, though......

9. I'll invest in a phaser and see what happens!

10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

so many possibilities.... sometimes, even the artist doesn't really know how he achieves a particular sound

11. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's known that Lynott did use a phaser sometimes. Of course that doesn't mean he didn't use anything else, but at least you can know for a fact a phaser will get you some of his sounds.

12. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    What an awesome song though....

RIP Phil!

13. We used to cover this song. What a treat, they even let me sing it. I got to channel Phil. Great tune.

Phaser.

14. great song.

a bit off topic...

may i reccomend you listen to SMASHING PUMPKINS' version of this song? I think it's brilliant...

15. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Phaser baby!

I can't wait till all Thin Lizzy, Steet Dogs, the Pouges, and Dropkick Murphy's day!

16. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Dancing in The Moonlight

Very clearly a phaser

Waiting for an Alibi

That's a flanger

I believe the flanger he used was an MXR 126 Flanger/Doubler so I'm guessing the current MXR flanger would get you closest but I don't have experience with either.

As for the phaser I'm not sure. Given that he used the MXR flanger/doubler he certainly could have used the Phase 90 which did exist at the time. Sounds more like the Maestro PS-1 to me, but it's hard to tell.

17. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Phaser fo' sho.

I've got pretty close with a Boss PH-3 set to 4 Band mode, so I imagine that any 4 band phaser would get you there.

18. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I was very confused -- I thought you were talking about King Harvest.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020