Dancing with the Devil

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Jul 19, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Went to take some gear to a club today for a gig later on and what do I see? - The club manager explaining to security where they need to draw the line on freak dancing:eek:

I don't really see any harm in it, especially since AIDS and STD's came on the scene. These folks are either 21 or older, unless it's a date where the limit is dropped to 18. Plus, I find these dancers are fun to play for and usually buy a truckload of drinks.

Do you people who play clubs have many freak dancers? Does it bother you?
  2. sorry im an idiot, whats freak dancing
  3. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    Why shouldn't freaks dance? The freaky bastards need love too.

I guess I'm an idiot too. What is this.... FREAK DANCE?
  4. rickbass

It's been described as "sex with your clothes on."

Thing is, people do it and when the song ends, they act like strangers and dance with someone else.

Hell, they do it here in the conservative Midwest.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Heck, I have seen this going on at a couple of street dances that we have played. I didn't know it actually had a name, though. I find it entertaining as hell to watch.
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...wasn't this once called 'dirty dancing'?
  7. rickbass

That's my perspective on it, Jim. Hell, I think it was an old dance, The Charleston, that was called shameful and disgusting in the 1920's. Then there were Elvis's hips on The Ed Sullivan Show that the cameras wouldn't show.......the more it changes, the more it stays the same.
  8. that's what it is, JimK, just like in the movie. now widely known as "grinding." it's the only way you dance at frat parties and such.
  9. rickbass

Aw c'mon. What they did in that move was flat out Sunday school compared to freak dancing.

I like that term, dancehall, "grinding." Like "bump and grind" at a strip club.
  10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    That's not allowed??? I've heard of the bible belt but that must be the buckle.

I would hope to see that at every club I played. I'd be getting a remote unit so I could jump into the pit.
  11. Well Rick, here in lil ole England we're always a year or two behind what happens on your side of the water. I've not heard of that over here.

(Err, there seems to be the beginings of Freak Dancing on some street corners in the less, err, up-market corners of my city, but that's another story.)

Hmm. I see. And, err, do these FD's actually supply you and the guys with drink during their "dance"? If so FDing should be encouraged / made illegal not to FD @ your gigs / etc don't you think?

12. rickbass

Hah, John! "lil ole England" seems way trendier from here, (I don't see it as "ahead" or "behind" necessarily; sometimes a place can be so far "behind" it's "ahead').....at least the larger English cities. I remember buying the clothes when the "mod"/Carnaby Street phase hit from England.

You've guys have...what's it called, "school dancing" going on, don't you? Where the clubbers get dressed in upsized uniforms that school kids wear, sort of like Angus in AC/DC?

They don't offer us drinks anymore than people have in the past. But they work up such a sweat dry-humping and writhing around each other, they have to get something to drink. Plus, some of them need to knock back a few jolts to get up the courage to freak dance. However, we still get invited outside once in a while for nose candy/whatever during breaks. We don't monitor each other, but if any group member screwed up onstage because they couldn't wait until after closing, they'd be in hot water, big time.

Last week, we're playing this 3-day festival where there was lots of freak dancing. One guy puts a bottle of Jack Daniel's up on the stage for us, (Tennessee sour mash whiskey). It's friggin' 92 degrees at 9pm. I've got sweat going down into my pickup routings and my pants are even soaked through with sweat! Nothing like warm 90 proof whiskey to beat the heat. Yeah, that's exactly what want! :rolleyes:
  13. I can imagine that, Rick. No. I was thinking more of a tray or two of cool, refresing beer. Nothing too strong, mind. Don't want the band intoxicated, do we?

Have certainly heard of Jack Daniels but know nothing about it. Can't stand whiskey anyway and, to be very honest, he whispered, I'm not that fond of drink at all.

Being naive, what's "nose candy"? Or is that something that could not be described in full on a bass forum that's for all the family?!?!

Was talking to a DJ last night. He's not sure about your Freak Dancing. But, like you said this school dancing is going on over this side of the pond.

Take care.

14. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    "Nose Candy" is slang term for cocaine if I am correct. But every place that I have been to has had some grinding going on. Especially at clubs on the other side of the tracks. Like the not-so-well-to-do neighborhoods. Tha'ts were it is sex with clothes on.
  15. rickbass

Sorry, John. Guess that's another "Americanism." "Nose candy" refers to Columbia, S. America's, largest export to the USA, cocaine.

These days, I'm sure all members of the family know all too well about it, or at least have had a glance with the term. When we do these rave gigs, the Ecstasy gets substituted except there's no ritual in doing it, (pop it in their mouths), so all the action is after the people have taken it.

One thing pretty cool about the Ex scene in the USA is that there's this organization named, "DanceSafe," that sets up a table at raves and people can have their Ecstasy checked by DanceSafe members against pictures of various pill forms and make sure it's not one of the pill designs that are associated with drugs that have hurt people. Sort of quality control. They don't encourage it's use. But they know people are going to do it anyway, so why not help them do it safely?
  16. Yeh. Guessed that's what it meant. Was just a bit wary of using the "C" word on TB, that was all.

Never done any drugs myself. Not even maraj..maru..err weed. The closest I've come to being a drug addict is cigarettes, and these days its literally 2 or 3 per day. True.

I'm astounded @ the 'Quality Control' on the Ecstasy. 'Still thinking about it it's seems a really good idea. The kids are gonna do it anyway? Right? So why not make it as safe as possible, I guess.

Right, guys, see y' later. Time for me to off.

17. The only dancing I've seen at my gigs is the mosh pit dance. And I'm sure you all know what moshing is! (duh :p)

Moshing, the only way to dance :D
  18. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I think it would be cool to see that. But so far I haven't. The most recent show I played was just for a handful of people and I got a bunch of wide-eyed stares and some polite clapping afterwards.
  19. rickbass

jr - I realize moshing is "culturally correct" for a guy your age.

But given the choice between making rhythmic contact with a lady and getting my front teeth knocked out by some bald-headed guy with an Otep t-shirt and nipple piercings, I know which I'd prefer....by a long shot :D
  20. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    LOL! I guess being a bit older and more experienced really does make one wise. :D