Danelecto Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Discrepancy, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Im considering buying a Danelectro Rumor bass and i was wondering if they is worth buying. Can u help me?
  2. davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    they are ok. but you could buy my hodad for 175. more pickups, and more sounds. let me know if you want it.

3. sbassett

Apr 2, 2000
    For what it may be worth, Musician's Friend (www.musiciansfriend.com) has been selling the Hodad Bass for $99 on line. I don' know if they have any left, but I bought one and it is a pretty decent bass. Very light, fast neck, and an interesting hollow "woody" sort of sound.
  4. Tritoch

Sep 9, 2000
    Why on earth would you get that bass? the only thing that the rumor has going for it is the built in chours. If your looking for a good cheapo bass, go to muiscyo.com and check out the kramers, they may not be the best, but then nether is the rumor.
  5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm a Dano fan and I agree, the rumor isn't their best bass, actually one of their worst... Get the Hodad, DC-3, or Longhorn.

Hodad's the most versatile (what I play)
    Longhorn gets good highs (I own this one also)
    And the DC-3 gets good lows.
  6. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I really think that all those basses are ugly but i do have to admit that when i played the longhorn it had a really good sound.That is mostly what matters.
  7. every single danelectro i've ever played sucked horribly. it might be just me, but they feel like crap, sound like crap, etc. the sound was real flat. not to mention just dang fugly. one kid at my school bought a longhorn bass, and guess what his nickname was for three months? all the musicians in the school called him gayboy! now maybe the gayboy thing wasnt too appropriate or nice, just a danelectro hating guitarist started it and many other musicians seemed to follow it.

but if you like it, buy it. just in my area its like a hanging offense to own a danelectro (IMO i can see why). in my local GC the same danelectros have been sitting in there for at leat over a year. maybe its just my area that doesnt seem to like danelectros. well if you like danelectros alot, you should be able to find some good ones cheap over here at our GC ;)

sorry if anyone took offense to this post.
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    They've been out for a while, unfortunatly. Apparantly they ran out just before I went to buy one. :(
  9. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The Danos are cool basses for what they are... Cheaply built, playable basses. They've never attempted to be anything else, and obviously the company is making no apologies for them. I've gotten plenty of good sounds from them... They're an absolute pleasure to strap on after a set or two of my P-Bass.

As far as it being a hanging offense, or having some dweeb running around calling you 'gayboy' or some equally lame, unimaginative epithet, who gives a rat's a$$? Your money, your bass, your sound...

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Anyone who thinks it's bad to have a dano's a ****ing moron, seriously...

No instrument that's durable is a good instrument.
    I happen to REALLY like my hodad, I don't care if MF's selling my bass for $99 or $999.99. If you like something, why should you worry about idiotic outside opinions, or how much it costs. If you buy a bass because it costs a lot, I'll sell you a Squire for $3000 and you can brag to your friends about how much it costs, hell wrap it in some sort of plastic food wrap and claim that's the way it's supposed to look, tell your friends it's worth more that way. ;)

Don't be a show off with the pricetag, be a show off with the sound, feel, and with what you're playing.
  11. sbassett

Apr 2, 2000
    I agree that there is nothing wrong with playing a "cheap" bass. Play what sounds good and makes you happy. I take pride in using the least expensive equipment that does the job for me. At my age (45) and with a good "day job", I play to please myself and the other members of my quartet. I have only been playing for about a year and a half, and due to career pressures, progress has sometimes been slow. But the most important thing is to be true to yourself and not worry about what other more "prestige-oriented" bassists might say about what instrument you hang around your neck. Anyway, I generally get good comments when I play my cheap weird basses like the Hodad, Ashbory, Supro Pocket Bass, etc.
  12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Calm down dude. No need to swear or call names, even if it was "in general". You are making something out of the conversation thats not there. People simply said that when you pay for a cheap bass, you get a cheap bass. Its true.

BTW, why is a durable instrument bad?

Anyhow, i say get it. For like $100, you can't really go wrong. You get what you pay for, an its a pretty good deal. Just get it.
  13. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Go angus, its your birthday, not really, party anyway.

PS....I mean this in a good way.
  14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    blah! I meant to say "Any instrument that's a durable instrument is good"

Sorry... kinda got frustrated. heh
  15. Um, Danelectro's are prob the LEAST durable basses. I love the tone from my DC, but the input jack has broke twice and the front strappeg is in THE WORST position (the spot that no strap will fit), and the peg was came loose plenty times. Not to mention the thing is ply-wood.

Overall though, nice tone for the bucks
  16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Actually they're not ply-wood. I forget what they're made out of though. But I recall requesting what my hodad was made of, and I remember it "to my surprise" wasn't plywood.

the strap in the DC isn't a problem, either is the peg. Just get some crazy glue and put it around the peg, and push it in. Danelectro doesn't use the same buttons anymore either.

The input breaking would be your fault, I've had my hodad for a little over a year now, and my longhorn for about 2 years now, and I haven't had that problem with either of them.

All you have to do as far as getting the strap on there is get a leather ended strap (dimarzio makes them.) And just let the leather bend against the neck, it works out just fine. If you're dropping your bass though... I suggest coming up with a better technique of holding it while playing. :p
  17. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    A cheap, light wood is basswood.

Might they be using that?
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Here is a direct quote from the website:

'Hardboard top and bottom with plywood frame.'

Back in the 50's, they used masonite for the top and back. I wonder if that's what 'hardboard' is?

The plywood I am sure is garden variety pine plywood.
  19. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I have thought of picking up a longhorn now and then ... Something about that body style seems kinda cool to me. I have never heard it or played on it though.

Boy if people teased me for the bass I played I think I would just laugh. I guess it's been a long time since I was in grade school so that stuff doesn't bug me anymore.

All of my equipment is pretty inexpensive in the grand scheme of things. Even my Carvin Cyclops only cost me $475. It is the most expensive thing I own. For whatever reason when I go to Guitar Center, Carvin .... or whatever I just seem to find the sound I like on cheap stuff. Hmm... I might really like the Dano... :D
  20. Barrett

Apr 1, 2001
    I love Danelectros. I have a U3 (guitar) I bought in 1967 for $20, when I was 12. I was into Pete Townsend and kept trying to smash the Dano, but it wouldn't ever break. So they can't be that fragile. It really is ugly, though. I would really like to have a Longhorn, next time the budget permits.