1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Danelectro 1M/100k concentric pot on Stingray pre clone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MPU, Jan 22, 2017.

1. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I'm trying to find a concentric pot for bass and treble controls on Stingray preamp clone. Schematic says 100k audio for bass and 1M rev audio for treble. Danelectro concentric hass 100k linear and 1M audio taper. I can wire 1M backwards to get same taper as 1M rev, right? How will 100k linear behave instead of 100k audio?

2. Honestly mate, I think I wouldn't bother. Having the treble work backwards will be annoying enough, but the bass pot as a linear will go from no bass to 80% bass in the first 5th of its rotation. (Or something like that.)

So you just have 1 MM pickup? And only two holes?

I've seen 100k audio taper stacks. Why not stack vol and bass? 100k audio taper should be OK for vol with the original stingray pre, as long as you aren't planning on plugging in to a very low z input. (Like a passive DI or line-in on an old mixing desk.)

Or if you find 100k post-preamp vol to sweep too abruptly, then run it before the preamp. With just one pickup, especially a MM wired in parallel, it will be fine also.

3. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I have two pickup bass with only three holes. I think I'm stacking the volumes or making a custom stacked pot for bass/treble.

4. Ah, ok. Well with three holes, you have a few more options.

The bass control will only have two wires, so FWIW, if you can find a 500K linear stacked pot, and add a 120K resistor between the middle and anti-clockwise lugs, you will have a very similar resistance and sweep as a 100k audio taper pot. This way you only have to swap the lower wafer.

Good luck with it!