danelectro 6-string bass? huh?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Milothicus, Apr 24, 2002.

1. i played one today, and hated it. it looked like the string spacing at the bridge was about 10 mm. there's no way i could play a bassline on that thing.

what's the motivation? is it meant for chords? is it really a 'bass' guitar, meaning it should be played exactly like a guitar, just an octave lower?

i played for about 2 minutes and put it down without a second thought.

does anyone play one of these or know what it could be used for?
  2. it's a baritone guitar, not a bass.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Danelectro six string bass guitar, or Tic Tac bass, was designed to be played with a plectrum.

It was originally made back in the late 1950's, and was very popular in Nashville, where it was used to double the track of an upright on recordings, to make the bass more audible.
  4. embellisher

Yes, it is a bass guitar.

A Baritone is tuned a fifth below a regular guitar, the tic tac is tuned an octave below a regular guitar, just like a bass.
  5. that was sort of my impression. it's the same concept as a baritone, only an octave instead of a fifth.
  6. embellisher

Yes, but it was invented before the Baritone guitar, and has always been called a 6 string bass guitar.

Anthony Jackson, who popularized the extended range bass, calls his 6 string creation the contrabass guitar, tuned BEADGC.
  7. I think the're pretty cool. I used to have a japanese or korean copy of a fender bass VI (Zimgar). I totally regret having sold it a few years ago - it was a fun instrument to play.
  8. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Actually, a 'Danelectro' type 6-string is tuned an octave below a standard guitar, with the low E at 82.4 Hz... A regular bass is tuned two octaves below a guitar with the low E at 41.2 Hz...

P.S. The six string Danos are pretty cool IMO :D
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    You're telling me that there is a two octave difference between guitar and (contra-)bass guitar? My ears disagree with that idea.
  10. Wrong. Regular guitar low E is 82.4Hz, or E2 on a piano. The guitar is a bass instrument; the bass guitar and double bass are actually contrabass instruments, in the classical sense, and their lowest note is E1 (or, on a 5-string, B1--anything lower is just perverse ;) ).
  11. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Ya know... one of my favorite things to do on the web is to stand on my soapbox in front of God and everybody and spout dis-information. Not only do Oysterman's ears disagree, but so do many of the web pages that I've found, after exposing my brilliance :D

Oysterman's right! The low E of a guitar is 82.5 Hz. Please pardon me whilst I go flog myself mercilessly!

12. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000

And Robert, it's okay - I do that all the time.
  13. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Jack Bruce played a Dano 6 during part of his time with Cream, and he played it fingerstyle. Plenty of people play guitar fingerstyle so it's really just a matter of adapting your technique.
  14. oh, i'm sure it's possible, but i've got pretty big hands, and it wasn't comfortable at all. i played an ibanez btb406qm, and it felt great as soon as a had it in my lap. that tells me the danelectro isn't for me. then, there's the fact that i thought it was hideous............ yeah, it's not for me.
  15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts

Jack's six string was a Fender.

He did also use a Danelectro, but it was a four string.