Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

danelectro baritone guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Nov 19, 2002.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Why do I the irrational urge to buy one? What do they sound like? Where can I buy one? How is the construction?

2. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    I have one--all black, Les Paul/thin twin shape-- that I bought on a whim several years ago for $250 I think. I have no desire to ever sell it. It sounds great--heavy and guttural. Obviously, it's meant for guitar players. I think I tune mine to B. If you enjoy playing guitar and bass as I do, you'll like having this voice as well.

It's also pretty indestructible as well. Nice to have...not essential.

Ken

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I've played one just like KPO described that belongs to my friend. Very nice sound in my opinion. It's got a real jazzy sound in the upper range.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup, mine is tuned in B and it's cool. Cheap but cool. Surf green. Essential if you do any recording in a pseudo-trad country style. Tick-tack bass doubling is where it really makes itself worthy.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

C'Mon, let's see a picture of one!

6. My guitarist uses one on a few of our tunes. He gets a great twangin' surf guitar sound out of it. Sounds great through a vintage Fender amp with a whole lotta reverb.
    I'm not a guitarist, so I can't comment on playability, etc., but I dig their sound.