Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Danelectro Baritone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jimthorpeiv, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Jimthorpeiv

Jimthorpeiv

Sep 27, 2004
    Would it be a terrible idea to put a Fender Bass VI nut onto a Danelectro Innuendo Baritone guitar and transform it into a BassVI? Or is that just silly?

2. Unless you want to buy a new bridge, a wider neck, resize the neck pocket and make the guitar able to deal with the tension of bass strings, then its just silly.

Dan

3. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I would offer a different opinion on this. If the strings will fit your bridge you should be OK. A Bass VI or a Jaguar Baritone Custom (the contemporary equivalent) are not built like an army tank or even a suspension bridge. When you place thick strings on a fairly short-scaled instrument and tune it an octave below a guitar there is not all that much string tension. Actually, lack of string tension is the curse of such an instrument because it can easily sound "flubby" due to inadequate string tension.

If you have the opportunity to play a Jaguar Baritone Custom it would give you a good idea of the character of such an instrument. Personally, I have wanted a Bass VI for years but never got around to buying one. I recently played the Jaguar Baritone and loved it. It's sound exactly like a bass but it does sound pretty decent for what it is. I was pleasantly surprised and am contemplating buying one.

4. also keep in mind dano made a baritone guitar, it looks really cool, its a single-cutaway, like a les paul...i think their name for the body style is the 56-U2? maybe?
    anyways, i've played one and they are pretty cool.
    you can see one in action on the Roger Waters "in the flesh" concert DVD
    andy fairweather-low plays it!

Charlie

5. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    Since my first post I got another opportunity to play a Jaguar Baritone and liked it even better the second time. Besides covering the bass range you have solo and chord opportunities that neither a conventional electric bass or electric guitar would give you.

After a few minutes I found myself playing a bass line, adding some treble fills or two-note chords and then jumping back to the bass line. It seems like it would be great for a bassist in a trio that needed to keep some texture going during a guitarist's solo. In case you didn't notice I am quite taken with this idea for an axe and hope to buy one soon.

6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I used to have one of those Danelectro baritones, bought it new maybe 1-2 years ago.

Seemed neat at first, but ultimately wasn't too impressed with it. Pickups seemed noisy when used with my guitar amp, and it didn't feel real solidly built.

Later I bought an OLP MM-5(I think the model was) baritone that was much better. This one was 30" scale, like a short scale bass. The pickups were placed where you'd expect them to be placed on a bass, not a guitar - that is, the neck pickup was not right up against the fretboard, it was closer to the middle of the body. The stock pickups weren't great, but they were guitar humbucker sized which made them easier to replace. They're out of production, but turn up on eBay. I sold it to get out of a tight spot financially, but I have wished I still had it.