1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Danelectro Bass Identification

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Old Fart, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    I am looking at a Danelectro DC-59 bass, and I wonder how to determine the year and/or location of its manufacture. I think these were made in Korea for a time, then production moved to China. Does it even matter? Are the Chinese units the same as the Korean units? The Korean units had bodies made of Masonite. Is this also true of the Chinese units?

Thanks

2. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Each batch was slightly different , they say the early Korean re-issues are the best . If you post a pic it might help identify which version you've got . The Korean version had the wooden bridge , two stacked pots , it was long scale . You might ask over at the Dano Owner's Club , there's some knowledgable characters there ...

3. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I think the first batch of Korean basses had two stack knobs ( tone and volume ) , and the later Chinese ones had a three way switch and two single knobs .

4. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Here is a pic. Korean or Chinese? Stack knob?

Danelectro.

5. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Looks like the first Korean batch 98/01 stack knob . Congratulations . They also made the pro version with "better" tuners and an adjustable bridge . The aficionados say the wooden bridge sounds better . Apparently some of the DC instruments from that period were made in Indonesia as well as Korea . That might have just been guitars , I don't know ...

6. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Thank you. I've been keeping my eye out for one of these, and here is why:

First, they are feather-light. I play in a cover band. Four hours per show. I am 58. Every pound counts.

Second: Fellow TB'er and personal friend Sugar McGuinn has one. He is an accomplished bassist who always has various projects going and does a fair bit of recording. Who knows how many hours he has spent in studios. One day, after listening to one of his original recordings, I had to ask him what bass he played on the recording. The tone was to die for. It was a DC-59.

I'm excited.

7. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I was a Precision guy and bought a Korean Longhorn . At first I wasn't crazy about the shorter scale and it didn't seem to have a great bottom end . So I didn't play it much . Years later I started using it and as the strings got mellower I found it sounded great . Now it's my #1 bass . It completely changed my opinion of what made a bass "good". It weighs nothing , is fun to play , and sounds great . It's also proven to be a tough little thing and has been completely reliable . They are what they are , and suit me just fine . I hope it will work for you too .

8. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I was going to add that the Dano Owner's Club currently has 99 members , you could be #100 . There's lots of Dano information in the thread , and some residents that really know their stuff !

9. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Where do I sign up? I brought the bass home tonight, as I expected I would. It is very nice.

10. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Dano Club member #53 here. Yeah, that DC looks like my 2 early Korean DCs. Both of mine are the "Pro" models, with the better tuners and the adjustable bridge. Other than noodling around a little with a righty Longhorn a few years ago at Sam Ash - that I'm sure was Chinese, and seemed OK to me - I've no real experience with the Chinese Danos. The Gen 1 Korean ones were the only Lefty Danos - ever - until very recently, so that's what mine are. My brand new lefty Longhorn is also Korean, which was a pleasant surprise. But, yes, the Korean Danos are usually considered to be "better".
    Most people that have the Chinese Danos are pretty happy with them, I think. They do seem to have a tendency for the bridge to bend in the middle; but replacements are available. Some people put an extra screw under it for support. I've heard that Korean ones can bend, too; but my Pro bridges are fine, after 20+years. Anyhow, the Dano Club is around here somewhere. Join us; and in any case - have fun with your Dano!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

11. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Just enter "Dano Owner's Club " in the search engine and you will find the thread .

12. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Glad to see you made #100 in the Dano Club !

13. Yes the Korean Dano bridges, at least the one on my Longhorn do bend in the middle. I did drill a hole in my bridge and put a screw in the body right under the hole so I could adjust the height to make sure it always contacted the bridge from underneath if I ever needed to adjust the bridge. I no longer have the bass, my Granddaughter is the proud owner. I saw it back in October and it was holding up well. I had to do a setup on it
    and the 3 year old chromes now sound fantastic. I'm glad its still in the family.