Danelectro bass - what is it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BWB, Aug 31, 2000.

1. BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    This is gonna sound nutty, but here goes: I am a blues player, kinda picky about tone, play a Fender Precision and generally don't hear bass tones that I am impressed with too often - but it *does* happen. That being said....

Last night after my band rehearsal I adjourned to a local drinking establishment to hear a bluegrass band and drink a beer. The bluegrass band wasn't there, but some kinda lame country rock band was <groan>....

Their bass player, however, was using (what looked to me like) one of those recent cheapie Danelectro 4 string electrics through a dinky little Peavey combo amp. He was DI'ed out to the board and the tone on that bass sounded
    terrific. Now, I have played this club myself and their sound system ain't too hot, so it wasn't that - it hadda
    be the bass. But is this possible? I mean, I don't even see their stuff when I go into stores - I don't even consider buying it. But SHEESH that bass sounded great!

Am I out of my mind? I'd never, ever heard one of these played live before last night. Am I crazy?

2. I too am impressed with the sound of the crazy Danelectro longhorn bass, although you may have heard another one of their basses. I want one for some reason, and I don't even like short scale basses. Cool sound.

Flad likes this.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

American Musical Supply sells a Danelectro 58 Long Horn bass in an unusually wide variety of colors, 24-fret rosewood fingerboard, 30 inch scale, bolt on neck. The price is $399.00, plus shipping...no gig bag included.

I have also seen Danelectro basses at Mars Music, a chain of giant retail music stores. The phone number of AMS is 1-800-4584076 and their web site is http://www.americanmusical.com.
    (Disclaimer: I am not afiliated with either AMS or Mars. I'm just passing this on for your information.)

Jason Oldsted
  4. Al Steen

Al Steen

Feb 1, 2000
    I have a Dano Convertible 6 string bass learned on a doubleneck and have played a bunch of others and I gotta say that they all sound wonderful. That lipstick pickup really knows how! .. Al
  5. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Its the semi-hollow body with no F holes.Like a Beatle bass.But through modern amps and such,to add brightness.
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have to agree, the dano longhorn is a very cheap and very good sounding bass. in my opinion the trouble is that every part of the bass is done with very cheap material and i'm afraid that it do not last too long. hope to be wrong although.
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

There is a new bass from Danelectro, and it's 34" scale.
    Model name is Hodad, it is quite modernly shaped (not any copy of sixties) and list price is 500 bucks. Cheap and cool, I think.

And there is the DC bass too, not as good as Hodad but nice
    too and list is 350 bucks.. Yep, it's actually so ugly
    it's cool! :D
  8. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    The one's I've played in GC have really impressed me...I have no need for another bass right now, but I'd certainly have a Dano on the short list if I were.

That being said, the Hodad guitar is truly one of the best warm jazz guitars I've almost ever played...that is the ONLY guitar on my 6 string short list and will probably end up here in the studio in a month or so...I can't believe the thing is only $250...

-GM, impressed with Danos
  9. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
  10. i own a dano DC bass, its my first bass, it isnt bad, it has some great bass tones. I have the longscale version. The only complaint is the nut width is like a p bass, but the neck doesnt get any fatter, so the string spacing at the pickups is kinda small, and the pickguard gets in the way for popping. But i love this bass, and will never part with it
  11. Like tallguybcs, my first bass was also a Dano, the '58 Longhorn to be exact. The only problem I have with it is that when I move it the amp kind of ripples a bit, and at times very noisy. It might be that mine is defective, but I do like the tone I get out of it. You might wanna check it out.....
  12. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I bought the Longhorn reissue for my son to learn on, and I've played the originals. Pretty much what others have said; nice sounding bass, provided you have a decent amp and strings, and definitely cutting costs on quality hardware. This applies to both the new and the old, making the reissues fairly close to the originals (unlike some of the Epiphone reissues of Gibsons....). All said and done, they are fun little basses, and was well worth the $280.
  13. The complaints I've read on the Dano Longhorn were that the tuning heads are guitar size, so the holes aren't big enough for some bass strings to thread through, and the bridge is not adjustable.

But they supposedly have an improved model out now, for a little more money, with better tuning heads and adjustable bridge. Makes me even more tempted to get one. I think at one of the links above, you can get the lowest cost one for $179? Throw on some new hardware, and you'd be stoked for still reasonable cash for a fun bass!

I am so tempted!

14. atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    Dano's are great instruments.
  15. raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
    I loved my Dano 58 Longhorn reissue. Those lipstick pups are deceptive and really put out some thump!

I should never have gotten rid of it. I wonder if I could buy it back...
  16. bassrich

bassrich Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    When I lived in Texas in the 90's you could not walk int GC without tripping over a danelectro I played the Longhorn, Shorthorn both sounded good but they were expensive for what seemed like a revival bran and I never got into them. Not to mention the hideous colors IIRC they had Single coil in 1 or 2 places. Get a Pic if you can if you see it again
  17. mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I still gig my early 60s Dano-Silvertone "dolphin-nose" at times. Great sounding bass.
  18. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I was looking for bass for a friend that wanted to start playing the instrument. I found a '63 RI new for $350 here in Switzerland, which is very cheap. It just sounded fabulous, thumpy but with a thick midrange with a bit of growl, just like they always did. Just a great sound for blues, supportive, warm and characterful.

They feel fine to play, but like the originals seem to be made of sawdust, spit and tape, but they seem to hold up to use suprisingly well. I've picked up old danos that were obviously played a lot that still hung together nicely and sounded great.

They are a classic instrument and deservedly so, and their use as a Tic Tac studio bass is legion as well.
  19. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I'd really liked the two original Korean RI Danos I had but discovering Jerry's instruments was a revelation. They brought everything that the Dano did with the quality of a really good US Fender. Sadly Jerry packed it in in 2011. Dano's and Jerry Jones are out there but you kinda have to keep your eyes open for them....and these days Jerry Jones are going for up to $500 more than they cost new.

There's an outstanding builder here in Vancouver Dave Reimer who's made some Dano type instruments as good as anything Jerry Jones ever did. He's an excellent pro bass player who's really gotten inside the Dano history and sound. He's kinda moved on to building Fender type instruments (also top notch, Hutch Hutchinson uses one) but he'd I'm sure he'd still make a Dano type bass. He's got mine in the shop adding a truss rod. This is the first one he built and it was done like the original without a truss rod. I'm gonna do a thread with pics when I get it back.
  20. Ralph Notoro

Ralph Notoro Banned

Jul 14, 2014
    Damn you guys. Just today I was talking about how cool those are and how it'd be nice to add one to the collection, but they're essentially pieces of junk so I won't. .Now you're saying they sound GOOD? Errrgggh.