Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Danelectro Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Turlu, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Hi,

Last Friday night I went to see the Band "Platinum Blonde" (Remember 'Crying over you" in the mid 80's) and the singer, who is also the Bass player, was using a Danelectro Bass. It was the first time I had a chance to hear those and I was quite impressed with the excellent bottom end he got from it.

I had to say I was impressed.

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Danelectro's are nice basses IMO.

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I have heard a few and the sounded great. BUT......IMHO one of the ugliest basses i have ever seen.

Mike

4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I got a DC 30 (?) (it's the one with the silver sparkle paintjob and the two chrome lipstick pups) for selling some stuff for a guy on Ebay and am pleasantly surprised. It is real fun to play, the neck is thin and fast and it's light. The tone has a nice vintage honk. For under $300, I think it has real value.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    hehe... I don't mean to be anal, but it's DC-3. ;)

6. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    neither do I, but it's actually just "DC" or "DC Bass". the DC-3 is Danelectro's double-cutaway guitar with three pickups.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Best cheap basses in the world. I just played an outdoor gig (car show on a flat bed truck in the middle of the day, blazing sun) for 4 hours with my little blueburst longhorn and the thing sounded great. Of course, they're light as a feather, too. I gave $180 for it used.

8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Gee...you guys are almost convincing me to keep mine. :D

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    If you have one, Deynn... Keep it.

10. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I don't think you would get that much cash if you sold it, so keep it! I really like the sound of mine, it's a little woody, but what the heck... People sneer at it all the time, since it's made out of hardboard, or whatever it is, but it sounds pretty nice for 300 bucks, so who cares?

11. I was considering a Longhorn Bass. Like $125 used at a local shop. My only problem? I couldn't find a truss rod cover. Inotation wasn't adjustable. Kinda scared me off. But that wierd body, that short scale. And the thing tapped well! I was truely suprised. Plus it was the same color as one of the guitarist's Dano's. But the lack of adjustment...ICK. Whatca guys think? Do they go outta wack often? Or is there a way to adjust the neck?

Thanks for any help....must buy something soon:) Take it outta the band fund:p

12. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    the neck has to be removed to adjust the truss rod. also, you might be able to find a replacement bridge with adjustable saddles (doesn't Jerry Jones make one?). the little bit of wood that they use in the bridge is adjustable, but it's probably a trial-and-error process trying to get all the strings intonated right.

13. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I have a purpleburst Longhrn Pro, which is the improved model. I set it up, including...taking off the neck to adjust the truss rod. I haven't had to do anything else to it since then. It even stays in tune better than a lot of upscale basses that I have played.
    Gee...now I am talking MYSELF into keeping mine. :D:D

14. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    They are fun to play!!

15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm glad you're keeping yours, Deynn. I could never see myself getting rid of mine. I mean, I haven't been playing it much lately. But it's just like a bass that I couldn't part with.

16. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It's actually not a very good bass at all, with the truss rod, and the bridge and all that, but there's something about that cheesy ugly thing that just makes my heart all warm... :)

17. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Has anyone pulled off the trim tape from around the edges?

18. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm not sure that would be such a good idea, i think it might fall apart... No, but seriously, i think that one is there to hide the joint between the top and the bottom. I'm definitely not sure, though..

19. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Well, it won't fall apart like the other person said. I recall hearing someone to have done it on here. I can't recall who, although I remember it being said.

I'd consider it, although I like the way the trim looks. Mine's in black, so it kinda has a really elegant look with the black and white, especially considering I use a white strap on it too.

You might have to scrap some of the glue off of it once you did that. Although, it'd probably turn out looking fairly nice.

20. jazzbass1

jazzbass1

Dec 2, 2000
    I have pulled the tape off of one of mine, it looks great, there's no joint or anything under there, it's purely decorative. I thought they did a great job copying the old basses, the paint jobs on mine are really nice.