Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Danelectro Batteries???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kcdbass, Apr 10, 2002.

1. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    i just saw danelectro 9V batteries in the last issue of musician's friend ... the ad copy that accompanies the product reads more or less like this:

"ordinary 9V batteries are great for some things but they have a nasty habit of ruining guitar tone."

are they kidding? a danelectro 9V will make an effects box sound better than an energizer???

is that possible??? does anyone know the answer to this ... or should i call "the psychic hotline?"

i'm pretty skeptical ... although being a graphic artist by trade, i will say it's an attractively designed battery.

:)

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm beyond skeptical, kcd. Any company that passes off reconstituted beer cans as "effects units" with names like "Tuna Melt," "Hot Pastrami," "Jeffrey Dahmer's Lunch," et al, has no cred with me.

This is just second hand info., but the word I heard on them is;

- those batteries are supplied with those pitiful effects. Many who bought those units, (i.e., guitarists) have been advised to rip them out and replace the with good Duracells/Energizers because the Dans are off-brand, leak-prone, Japanese batteries

- they're cheap because Danelectro pedals go through batteries like Tic-Tacs

As usual, less money appears to buy less. :rolleyes:

3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Yep,
    It's crap ..... 9 volts is 9 volts , no matter what flavour or wrapper it comes in.
    Another urban myth I'm afraid :rolleyes:

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yup, the design may be cooler (or not), but underneath it's still a OEM battery. They're not even Alkalines. Or do you really think Danelectro manufactures their own batteries?
    I don't think so.

Batteries don't ruin tone, it's low voltage from almost empty batteries that does.

5. There's a bit of a myth in the vintage gear circles that non-alkaline batteries "sound" better than alkaline ones. Pure nonsense. Non alkaline batteries don't last as long and are more prone to leaking. Danelectro is just trying to sell you batteries.

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Yet another myth:
    If you build home brew effects you MUST use carbon comp resistors for that "vintage" tone.
    Hmmm........ carbon comp resistors are pretty stable up to about 300 volts.... I make that 'bout 291 volts short for the average stomp box!

7. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    :mad:

well what heck goes on man ... somebody should call geraldo rivera or somethin ...

damn, i guess nobody ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of the american consumer ...

i hate dishonesty in all it's forms man ...

8. Hey my lithium-ion batteries make your pedals sound even better ! :D

perhaps not better.. but they last about 12 times as long as regular batteries.. and they're recharge-able :D

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I prefer NiMH rechargeables myself, tone and power for ages :D

10. Yeah but Li.ion batteries give you EXACTLY 9v
    and if you put them in the ground, they're still fully loaded if someone should dig them up 500.000 years later :D

regular batteries give you 9v in the beginning, but it drops to 8.8 eventually.. regular rechargables start with 8.9 and end up with 8.6..

li.ion give you 9v always..

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My usual question - can anyone hear the .04 difference..... or is this just static to serve the ego-deficient????

If there is a perceptible audible difference or reliability issue, I would appreciate knowing.

I don't know, this is beyond my meager expertise.

12. Mike Fuller recommends carbon batteries for his Fulltone Bass Drive... less harsh tone.

It's what comes stock with the unit.
    It also it stock in many basses with active preamps.

Carbons are so cheap, I can use 4 for the price of one alkaline. Just slap in new one before a performance.