1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Danelectro Copy Cats - Scandal!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dannybuoy, Apr 22, 2009.

1. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    It seems Danelectro have rather sneakily gone and cloned some boutique pedals for their latest Cool Cat series:

CO-1 Drive = Fulltone OCD
    CTO-1 Transparent Overdrive = Paul Cochrane Timmy
    CF-1 Fuzz = Frantone Peachfuzz

The rest are being reverse engineered over at freestompboxes.org, e.g. the Distortion. This may be old news to some, but I've not heard any mention of it over here!

Apparently Danelectro were unaware that their engineers were doing this according to this: http://supervelcroboy.wordpress.com/2009/02/04/danelectro-oblivious-to-timmy-clones/.

So basically, you can get a cool pedal with true bypass, in a crap enclosure for next to nothing!

2. I got the transparent overdrive and fuzz. They're both really nice.

The enclosure isn't that crap IMO, sure it looks crap but it's metal and doesn't look like it'll break... However, the switch is pretty crap, while it works, it's in a bit of an awkward shape and position to press down.

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I know they're pretty sturdy, but they look like a cross between a shield, a spaceship and a catpaw, I don't like the knobs on the rear or the clunky switch. That said, I would still buy one!

4. This actually broke like a month or two ago. There was much gnashing of teeth over at HCFX, and someone from Danelectro even came on to state that they were unaware of them being clones. They have since come back and stated that they are redesigning all of aforementioned pedals to new, uncloned designs.

5. Does this mean the sales of the above pedals will go up as theybare clones of expensive pedals.