Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Danelectro Daddy-O

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Trevorus, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Wow, this thing is cool. I thought it sounded good on guitar, but man, this thing rocked through my bass rig with my jazz bass. It has such an amazing grind, and it really worked well with my guitarist. And get this: My guitarist specified one of the goals of our band to be more comlicated and more pronounced bass, because not a lot of bands make good use of their bass player. He also commented on his liking of my distortion tone with this little beastie pedal. It actually preserves lows well, due to it's 3 band EQ. I reccomend giving it a try.

2. I like mine- even more when someone reminds me how cool it sounds. Very responsive to playing dynamics(I know all OD boxes claim this, but the Dano delivers). You, me & Larry Graham. Say UNH!

3. Daddy-O is my fave distortion too, and it's pretty sweet on piccolo bass too.

4. interesting...i never would have thought of a danelectro being good for bass o/d...can we get a sound sample?

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I might try to record on this week. I cannot vouch for playing skill, though... :p

6. just wanna hear how it handles low end, and im sure u play just fine ;)

7. i have also one daddy-o, it rocks throghu my musicmaster, i can have a very vintage bass sound trhrough it

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Some time soon, I will be modding the Dadd-o to have a asymetrical clipping circuit, hopefully giving it a more organic tubey goodness. I did it with a crate guitar head, and it really worked well.

9. wooooow is it hard to do?

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Not really, if you are handy with a soldering iron, and know how to trace down the clipping section in a circuit.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I jsut popped mine apart, and I can take pics if anyone is interesed. I'll be changing the diodes tomorrow, probably.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    [​IMG]

Here we go. What you need to do is take one of these out, and add another LED or other type of diode on just one side. Or, as I am going to do, replace them with a different type entirely, and do 2 on one side, 1 on the other. When reinstalling everything, make sure one sides diodes point one way, and the other side the other. If you wire up 2 diodes, make sure they flow the same way. Here's a good website to explain the process: http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/mods.html

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    And here's the new arrangement. I highly reccomend this. I can do the mods if you need me to. Just PM me.

[​IMG]

14. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    So the Daddy O is that good huh? Perserves the lows, nice grind. What about when it's off -- does it suck tone?

I have a Danelectro Cool Cat that I love. And since I'm always looking for overdrive/distortions options, I might have to look into this. Mus Friend has it paired with a Chicken Salad for $60. Sounds like a good deal. Anyone tried the Chicken Salad?

15. AFIK it's not true bypass but I have not noticed any problems with signal loss. On the pedal board the DaddyO is in a loop that has a line driver.