1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Danelectro Dano '63 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RKB900player, Apr 5, 2009.

1. So what is the general consensus on this bass? And to be more specific, I mean the short scale version. It's about $300 here where I live, and I want to know whether its a worthy purchase

2. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Snatch it up quick

3. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

May 10, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I bought my Dano 63 longscale new for $299, shipped. It's a great bass. The tuners and bridge are decent and the sound is versatile. The finish is really quite good too. I got the Aqua color. And I get compliments whenever I play it, both on the looks and on the tone (other musicians, bass players and others, always compliment the tone).

It's definitely a worthy instrument. I like it so much, I just picked up a Danelectro Hodad on Craigslist... with the same bridge and tuners as the Dano 63, but with a shiny chrome finish instead of the matte silver on the 63.

I like mine a lot. Your mileage may vary...

Willy

4. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Musicians Friend is blowing them out for $199.99 right now.

5. thanks jasper383 for the heads up. i just bought one.

6. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I will probably buy one too. They are great for only $200.

7. BlackEdition

BlackEdition

Mar 30, 2009
    oh man, that is so tempting!

do you think that these basses are going to last? that is my only worry. i like the look and i have seen a video review and liked the sound.

my questions:

1) will the masonite neck and the truss rod ensure that i'll be able to keep the neck straight and the action low over the years?
    2) will the adjustable bridge ensure that i can keep the intonation right over the whole range of the neck?

thanks!

8. BlackEdition i agree with you concerns, just take into consideration that there are some old danelectros out there still kicking. i figure if the bass falls apart, i'll find a bass to throw those pickups into.

9. BlackEdition

BlackEdition

Mar 30, 2009
    sorry, third and fourth questions:

3) does the neck really need to be removed to access the truss rod?
    4) will i be able to restring this bass with regular gauge 45-105 strings?

10. BlackEdition

BlackEdition

Mar 30, 2009
    gah... i bought it... i am weak!

in aqua!

11. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    aaauuughhh...dammit...i want the aqua one...can't justify bass number 15 at the moment...

12. Godfather

Godfather

Feb 4, 2001
    +1 ! !! !!!........damn you guys !

13. BlackEdition

BlackEdition

Mar 30, 2009
    anybody know if there are any aftermarket tuners or bridges available for the dano?

i am just curious because i have heard that the bridge has the intonation adjustment screws under the string... thus, i've got to remove the string to intonate it...

also, i have heard bad things about the tuners. i have heard that they are too small for bass strings... anywho...

i am admittedly a bit nervous about the bass. i am worried about the neck having to be removed to adjust the truss rod, the guitar-like tuners that may not fit bass strings, and the bridge with the intonation adjustment screws under the strings.

14. BlackEdition

BlackEdition

Mar 30, 2009
    well some research has paid off. i have answered many of my own questions!

as far as the strings go: the bass comes with d'addario xL's in 45-105 gauges...

second: you do have to take off the neck to access the truss rod.

third: you have to loosen the strings to access the intonation screws.

i am not really sure if you can, or how you would intonate the bridge if you have to loosen the strings, but i guess i'll figure it out...

also, if the stock tuners become a problem, there is a chance that a compact "gotoh" style tuner will fit as a direct replacement.

15. vbsurfer3001

vbsurfer3001

Jul 25, 2005
    VB,VA
    DAMNIT!!! How is a guy supposed to open & read this thread WITHOUT buying one of these things!!!!! $200.00???!!!

I got the longscale Aqua as well....Now, to figure out just how to explain the new bass to the wife when it shows up...:rollno:

16. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Anybody have some soundclips of one of them? They don't have any on the site and i was wondering if someone has one, or could make some! Haha

17. BlackEdition

BlackEdition

Mar 30, 2009
  18. low-endz

low-endz

Dec 18, 2007
    Miami, FL.
    That did it!

I just got off the phone with Musicainsfriend & purchased thier last Long Scale in Black, they have more of the Red & blue left.

Man for $199 & free shiping I am really stoked to get my Black 63 & GIg with it.:bassist::bassist::bassist:

Cheers

19. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    Ive been gassing for one for a while. Any reviews?

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I want the Longhorn style. Who cares how good it is; you will look good onstage with that bass.