Danelectro DC Bass or Epiphone Thunderbird Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzman64, May 10, 2021.

1. jazzman64

jazzman64

Apr 16, 2021
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hello everyone...I've been struggling with this decision, Danelectro DC Bass or Epiphone Thunderbird Bass? Both are great basses and have their own distinct sound and design! Help!

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  2. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I can't think of two bass that are more different from one another. You need to ask yourself these questions, which should point you in the right direction.
    • What tone am I looking for?
    • Is there a look I'm seeking?
    • Do I want long or short scale?
    • Do I want single coils or humbuckers?
    • Is weight an issue for me?

3. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
  4. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Those are such different animals , I’m a Dano guy , but I suspect you might be happier with a Tbird . I’ve got a shortscale DC on order , been waiting for almost two months now . I prefer the shortscale Danos . They weigh next to nothing , have really comfy feeling two octave necks , and sound great . But they were designed to be cheap instruments . It’s what they are ...

5. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway, try to play a TBird before you buy one. I bought one w/o playing it first and never could get use to the ergonomics.

Sounded great, but a real physical struggle for me to play. ymmv

Good luck with your decision!

DRBP, EatS1stBassist and ajkula66 like this.
  6. bassburner

bassburner Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2008
    This is a huge factor. I had problems finding a way to play t-birds with out any pain. However, the Danos, while not the most ergonomic, are so much lighter it's much easier to find a comfortable position.

AlexanderB and EatS1stBassist like this.
  7. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    What has you looking at these two in particular?
    Price?
    Availability?
    If I remember right, you were looking at a Hofner a couple of weeks back...for playing Grateful Dead stuff.
    Is that still what you plan on playing?

I've only briefly played a Dano (longhorn), but had a T-bird for a few months until the neck-dive put me off it.
    Very different sounding instruments, so if you could elaborate on what you need that'd be a big help.

I am surprised that no-one's suggested get both.;)

AlexanderB and EatS1stBassist like this.
  8. jazzman64

jazzman64

Apr 16, 2021
    Brooklyn, NY
    I was thinking of Hofner but I recently played a Dano DC Bass (Long scale) and liked it better! Still had that hollow sound but has a unique design!

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  9. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Yep, two very different instruments. I own a '64 T-bird II, a '68 Coral Deluxe Bass and a couple of '68 Silvertone Hornet 1443 long-scale basses (Dano made - single-coil lipstick pu's) - they are closer in size/weight as a T-bird but are characteristically more mid-range in sound/tone, where as a T-bird is characteristically dark sounding (buckers). I love both and won't recommend one or the other - you'll know which is for you if you can play one of each at the same sitting through the same amp. Otherwise... weight is different, sound/tone is different, and balance & ergonomics are different.

KaraQ likes this.
  10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    The new "60s Thunderbird...Vintage Pro...has the nicest T-bird neck I've ever played, looks great and sounds better.
    The Dano is off the radar...and I'm a Dano fan.

KaraQ, EdO. and Iristone like this.
  11. Don't torture yourself. Get both.

mcgreivey, Londo Molari and Bass V like this.
  12. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I want a Dano (long scale) but have the cheapest Epi T-Bird on the market, the gorgeous Std. bolt-on which is my favorite bass overall, maybe the $700 'Bird beats it but ...how? get'm all! lol

KaraQ likes this.
  13. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

The only way I could make the TBird work was to tie my guitar strap to the head stock....think Skip Batton with The Birds. Plus it's a pretty heavy piece of wood.
    And I'm just not big enough...or secure enough.... to make it work.

14. Here's what you do....
    You got a dog?..
    Put down 2 bowls of food, write DANO on one bowl and TBIRD on the other.
    Buy the one he eats first.
    Then, if your disappointed in the bass,...you can blame the dog.
    Or flip a coin.
    Those basses are so different. Its apples or oranges....or carrots ;)

Fialka likes this.
  15. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

The one and only gripe I had with the awesome, Epiphone Thunderbird linked above in post #3 is that it’s 50 inches long, besides that. That Thunderbird is really hard to beat!

Iristone and TBird1958 like this.
  16. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    It's a really nice take on a Thunderbird at a reasonable price, not at all heavy, rawrs pretty well! Not for the shy bassist!

17. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    I'm a big fan of the epi embassy i just bought a few months ago. Ergonomics are definitely a lot more fendery compared to a tbird, which was the big plus for me.

4andnomore and Pdaddy1978 like this.
  18. Platypus13

Platypus13

Mar 3, 2021
    Is 50” an accurate measurement from end to end on that bass? I’ve got one on the way and can’t find a spec for total “point to point” length and I’m trying to find a case that fits.

19. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

I want to say that it is if I’m remembering correctly, Epiphone makes a Thunderbird case, might be a question to follow up with over in the Thunderbird thread, I’m pretty sure that’s where I’ve heard it. This one has a longer headstock that is accurate to the vintage ones

20. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Some people might not realize this is a special Thunderbird with different pickups than the other Epiphones T-birds.

KaraQ likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021