Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DanElectro DC???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AltIII, Aug 10, 2003.

1. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Recently, I've notice one of my favorite bassists and the lead singer of my favorite band (fat mike of NOFX) has been sporting a DC bass during live shows. I was wondering if anyone here can give it a detailed thumbs up or down. I'm looking into buying one of my own, but the closest I've come trying one out is a longhorn. which I suspect is very different. could anyone affluent in punk, indie, or garage rock give me the skinny on these basses?

2. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    am I to assume that the lack of replies is a sign of negativity towards the bass? or just a sign of ignorance. or perhaps someone's already asked and you expect me to search for it? if either is true, please reply. in this case, bad news is better than no news.

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    well, maybe no one knows anything about them. could you be more specific? like i might know what you're talking about, but i dunno.

4. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    the bass player from death cab for cutie has used one in the past... i've heard of some complaints about a sharp edge on the bridge; but when i tryed out one, it didn't seem to bother me. i like 'em. they would be great for low-fi 'indie' or something without the standard fender tone.

bass player has a review online. they are no longer in production, so used is your only shot...
    http://archive.bassplayer.com/z1999/9909/dano.shtml

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'm pretty sure there's a few threads on Dans in general, but I'll be glad to share my impressions as a present DC owner;

The bass is quite light, since it's hollow, and they tend to have that hollowbody tone. It's 34" scale, so the tone isn't as tubby as the Longhorn, but the lipstick p'ups still impart a similar funky flavor.

I like all the Dans a lot, but they aren't exactly what I'd call 'sturdy.' I never had any trouble with one, but because of the construction methods, some aspects are a little more fragile than on other basses...
    The strap pins are notorious for popping out; most people glue them in to avoid that.
    The bridge is functional but not the greatest design out there.

Despite its shortcomings, I like them. I've heard the NOFX guy uses it because of the light weight. There is a little neck dive, but it's not too bad.

Any specific questions you can think of?
    The Hodad is another good alternative; with 3 p'ups, it might be a bit more versatile. All 3 reissue models (DC, Hodad, Longhorn) are out of production now, and a little harder to come by.

my DC

6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I had a silver sparkle DC. Very light wieght. Excellent acoustic tone. Lots of hum between the p/us. Only quiet with both full on. Strap buttons fell out. Tunning heads were worthless. Bridge was uncomfortable and difficult to adjust. No taper along top rear edge was uncomfortable on right arm. An adequate inexpensive bass ($225 new in Hawaii), but I ended up unloading it.

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    ah, I forgot about that right arm aspect, that is uncomfortable after a while, on all Dans. If you tend to strap up high anyway.

Never have any hum problems on my DC though...

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i played a DC at a couple of punk shows when my bass was out of comission. Um hard to describe, its got sum real appealing aspects and sum horrible aspects. The bass looks and feels like it was put together by a 11 year old, which it probably was in sum small fishing village in asia. I sounds fine, its very light. They are almost disposable though. The nut broke on it, the neck warped like a peiece of cheese. Id still consider getting one just as a beater bass or a backup. The weight is pretty appealing, and thats the reason fat mike plays one. If his back could take a pbass day in and out everyday hed be using one of those.