Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Danelectro-esque construction techniques...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Trevorus, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, as the title implies, I am looking to build a danelectroesque type instrument. Anyone got any good techniques for building these things? I was planning on starting with a center brige/neck mount rail. I am not sure on the wood though. Or would it be better to make a body blank and hollow out the wings? I definitely want a vintage looking hollowbody thing.

2. Keep it simple and just use a 1 piece skeleton with center spine and laminate it with a beautiful cheesy fiberboard/formica laminate. Instant binding, almost instant finish - just gotta do the edges, and you can do it in a few hours

3. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I have plans to a Dano inspired construction aswell...

Hambone gave you the way Dano did it(but they did it with plywood). Or can can try something similar to Reverend contrustion; start with the center block, create a rim (Reverend uses injected molded plactic, you could bend the sides like an acoustic guitars) and laminate the masonite on.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Anyone know any good material to use for side woods? I have a guitar body I am going to cut up for this one. I need a good material that is cheap to bend and use. I was thinking something like 1/4" Plastic strip, and bending it with the heat gun.

Here's the freaky looking thing getting the makeover.

[​IMG]

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'll probably end up cutting of it's sides, and then putting hollow wings on it.

6. Danelectro used to STAPLE together a multi-piece pine frame on the originals, and glue the masonite top / bottoms on. I heard they were pine necks too.

Later, more modern versions used plywood frames. Maple necks.

you want vintage-y? make sure you use a compensated rosewod bridge. :bassist: and lipstick tube pups. and really crappy tuners. v:O)

No, I'm not anti-Dano. I LOVE them Love the tone. I want a DC bass really bad. I have a longhorn I adore. Best 70 bucks I ever spent.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, this will be an ongion project that I will probably take my sweet time on. But just getting some ideas.