1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Danelectro FAB Slap Echo

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass-shy, Mar 24, 2006.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I bought one of these for $15.00 today at GC. I wasn't expecting much for the price, but I have to admit that I was surprised when I got it home. Nice clarity and definition. This thing makes it sound like you are playing in a cathedral full of porcelain. Really spacey and ambient. The construction is lacking: The jacks are board mounted and nutless, the casing is plastic and the switch isn't exactly confidence inspiring but, for the price, it is a pretty cool pedal. I makes for a pretty convincing reverb and it is really cool for higher register solo stuff, especially with a good distortion. I don't know if it will be a permanent fixture on my pedal board, though. I may just keep it on hand for those times I want to totally trip myself out. Anyway, I thought I would share. Considering the price, I just may check out a few more of these FAB pedals. Anyone else?

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    yeah, I've been checking my local GC to see if they have any of the FAB echo units in... Even if it's not that great, it's only $15!

Anyway, it's good to hear that it does sound at least decent. Do you have any soundclips to share?

-Dash

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    No soundclips yet. I just got it yesterday. I'll see what I can do, though.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, I have the Fab Flange and it's pretty much the best $15 i've ever spent.

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I almost bought the flanger, too. Maybe I'll pick one up next time.

6. I bought the flanger based on an online sample I heard and it is good. I like it more than my more expensive digitech.

7. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I have the Blue Chorus and Black Metal Pedal. The Chorus works great, the Metal Pedal is strictly for guitar. I'm looking to get the Flange and Red Distortion at some point.

8. Has anyone tried taking one of the fab pedals apart and replacing the switch with a more heavy duty one? I was thinking of buying the flanger and replacing the switch with a more beefy one and building a better box out of metal. I could get all of the partsfrom work and my drummer is a metal worker so the box would be a joke for him. The fab pedals are 25 bucks up here in the great white north and that's still dirt cheap. Has anyone tried beefing one of these puppies up?

9. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    You should give it a shot and let us know how it goes. The ones I have heard sound good but are pretty cheaply made. Rehousing one to make it more road worthy is a great idea. Good luck.

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've thought about changing it, but i'm too much of a noob to do it.

11. Yeah it won't be me that does most of the work it will be my friend that I jam with. We work at an elctronics factory so finding some spare switches and scrap metal laying around shouldn't be a problem. I think I'm going to give this a try in a couple of weeks. I need to save money to go to the System of a Down concert at the end of the month.

12. sinophysiker

sinophysiker

Feb 7, 2006
    Shanghai
    What is slap echo means really? danelectro also produces other slap echo pedel(maybe two?), Do they do the same job? The definition of their pedals seems kinda vague, e.g., their "reverb" pedal could actually be a delay.

and has anyone here experienced the danelectro "reel echo" pedal? i need more info of this pedal, after reading tons of reviews i still don't get it, is it reverb-like or delay-like?

13. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I own the FAB Metal, and it is definitely guitar-only, however it sucks tone. It has no wet/dry blend, so the tone loses all it's balls and is replaced by some pretty good metal distortion.

The old bassist for my band Annie Feed Water used a FAB Distortion on bass. I'm not really sure if I like the recorded tone, but through the old Ampeg V4 head he used and Peavey 1x15 it had some balls. Recorded direct, it loses all bass.