Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Danelectro Fab Tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by danielguerra, Oct 26, 2005.

1. has anyone tried this one out? i have a daddy-o overdrive and i like it, any clips?

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well, we sell them at our shop for $15. They're solid plastic, but they sound amazing on guitar! For $15, you can't go wrong. I'm gonna try it on bass tomorrow at work.

3. telemaster1952

telemaster1952

Oct 18, 2005
    they have a bass one?

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    No-- it's just a little plastic Dano pedal with 3 knobs. There's Overdrive (white,) Distortion (red,) and Metal Distortion (black.)

5. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I think he is refering to the old Fab Tone, the one in the metal marron case, in which case it is a massive distortion with more gain than you could ever want. That said, I find it pretty terrible for bass, but with an EQ pedal it could work out nicely.

6. telemaster1952

telemaster1952

Oct 18, 2005
    i have the black and red one i didnt think they would work well with a bass

7. I own one, the brown metal one.
    Despite the 4 knobs there are not many useful sounds, you have to set the bass at max, give a bit of treble and fab(distortion) and that's it.
    With this setting, you have a powerful distorded sound almost fuzzy.
    It sounds exactly like Rhonda Smith in Prince's Live at the Alladin.
    Great sound but very noisy, you cannot keep the pedal engaged if you're not playing, unless you like airport ambience.

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    There's 3 more i've figured out.

A Chorus (blue,) Echo (orange,) and Flange (gold.) I tried the flange, and it really didn't get the jet taking off type of sound I was looking for, it just made warbly goopy crazyness.