Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Danelectro Free Speech Talk Box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by heavyJams, May 1, 2003.

1. So what's the deal with these? Has anyone used one? IT's cheaper than the real thing and requires no mic. I'd like to get one, but I'm dubious.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Talk boxes seem more like a gimmic...something to play with, but it isn't really useful in most situations. Kind of like a slide -- I picked up one last week, and it's fun to play with but it isn't really useful. I had some store credit saved up, so the thing was only 3 bucks -- good price for a toy. However, a talk box would cost significantly more than 3 bucks.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've used the Digitech Talker on bass; it's great! Hard to find though, since Digitech quickly discontinues anything remotely cool. Trey Gunn uses one on his Warr guitar on some of the Projeckts.

I haven't had much luck with regular talk boxes. They eat your low end. Good if you are using a side chain, but hardly worth the effort.

Govithoy, if you think a slide is worthless on bass, listen to some Morphine. Sandman played nothing but two string slide bass, and man is it cool.