1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Danelectro goes back to Korea for 2012

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ATLbassist, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Hey, fellow Dan-O fans. I was looking for some parts information today, and came across an announcement on the DanGuitars site about new Danelectro 2012 models coming out soon. They're bringing back the Dead On '58 longhorn, but this is what really caught my eye:

"Production for the 2012 Danelectro models will be moving from China back to Korea. This is excellent news especially considering that the same factory that made the higher quality, earlier reissues in Korea will once again be doing the manufacturing."

For those that had bad experiences with the Chinese-made basses and guitars, this just might be your thing.

2. That is good news.

I have a purple burst Longhorn from the 90s Korean run. Great bass.

And the original coke-bottle headstock must be part of the deal. That assymetrical number was just sad.

3. That is good news and very interesting.....when will the Korean 2012 Longhorn basses ship?

BTW, has there ever been a 5 string longhorn bass?

4. Well, I'M sure stoked!!!!

The 90's Longhorns have been getting a bit too price on ebay.

Where's the link for this info?

Also, in my poking around, i saw that at least on the guitar side, the Hodad is coming back!!! One of those with a bigsby is my fave set-up for surf rock! :bassist:

EDIT: Found it: http://www.danguitars.com/

Hodad bass IS returning!! :D

EDIT EDIT: The Hodad DOES look sweet... but the Longhorn still has the wooden saddle/bridge-bit :/

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Great news ! I LOVE my 90's reissue Longhorns !

6. Oddly enough, I traded my Chinese Longhorn for a Korean Longhorn Pro this weekend. I never could quite get on board with the copperburst, though I did like the textured tape binding.

Oh, I did forget the link. Here you go:
    2012 Danelectros

EDIT: That's for the inventory page. The copy I, uh, copied was on the main page, which was linked to above.

I asked this in another thread, but while I have y'all's collective ears: What are your thoughts on the wood stick bridge vs. the adjustable? This one has the adjustable, but I've heard the wood version brings more low end (at the cost of intonation, maybe).

EDIT EDIT: Just to keep this thread on track, here's my bridge thread. Comments appreciated: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/danelectro-bridge-differences-nbd-846899/

7. someone really wants a Danelectro?

8. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Wooden bridge .

Some people just don't get Danos . Many others do .

9. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I have one of the original Korean Longhorn re-issues . Sounds great , is a heck of a lot of fun to play , intonation is fine . I got it for a great price .

Tuners are a but cheesy . But I love the thing .

Maybe you should try and find a Jerry Jones ...

10. I talked to Spencer the site owner about it. Danelectro hasn't released any new pics besides the Pros, Hodads and hodad basses. All the other models are correct but he Just used old pictures.

11. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I was thinking that Longhorn looked just like the last batch .

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Of course they do. My Dano rocks hard. And it's even Chinese. Not looking to upgrade, but I suppose this will be good news for those who want a new one.

13. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    I love my Dano. This 2012 Longhorn lists for $399, so probably get it for $299-$349. I might get another (and a 12-string to boot).

14. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    A Dano longhorn is a bass I still must get one day..love the look and tone.

15. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I love my Dano. Made in China.

Nothing wrong with gear China except for the attitudes around it.

16. Does anyone have a danelectro Longhorn strung BEAD? If I can't get a 5 string, might I at least put the 4 I use most on it?

17. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I have one of the 56 Single Cut basses from just this last year. It is made in Korea.

Maybe it's from the future? :)