Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Danelectro Hodad Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bob Gollihur, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Somebody in another forum turned me onto the fact that Musicians Friend (I know they're not REALLY my friend) is selling the Danelectro Hodad Bass for $99 (list $499). I couldn't resist placing an order for a white/violet one.

They are on backorder right now, and with no pic or description on the site nobody knows whether these are the original reissues or with the new adjustable saddle bridge (sorely needed) and upgraded tuners. Regardless, for that price I wouldn't mind tossing a $12 bridge on it, as well as a set of used tuners if the originals are that bad. Somehow, being in backorder, you gotta figure they're the new ones unless they have a warehouse full of the old ones.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/010301073020208009152121846817?pid=510671 is MF's page.

The Dan Hodad page is http://www.danelectro.com/Hodadbass.htm

The point of this message is not only to let similarly impulsive bassists know, but... anybody out there have one of these?? How are they, feel, sound, etc.?? Impressions welcome.

I've played a couple other Dan reissues, briefly in a store, couldn't stand the wood bridge that defies good intonation beyond the 7th fret... but otherwise ok. Certainly reasonable for $100.

2. Well, I have A Danelectro bass, the Longhorn model. Yes, the bridge does suck, but there are no dead spots on it. Almost any bass is worth $100, and Danelectros aren't that bad, Jake Bruce from Cream used to play 'em!

3. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    I believe the Hodad series has always had the "upgraded" bridge and tuners.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Bob, dijja have to do that!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't you just keep it to yourself!!!!!

I just bought a Hodad about a month ago for 3 bills, and now I had to go buy another. I love that bass. Call me krazy but I own a Warwick, a Musicman, a Precision Deluxe and a few others - and the Hodad is becoming my favorite bass.

My review: The workmanship seems real bare bones, the neck kinda just looks like a piece of wood screwed onto the body (well, I guess it is), the plate that covers the electronics looks like a 5 cent piece of tin, etc - but there's something about that that I'm starting to really like. The bass does the job excellently and sounds a whole lot better than the P-bass that I spent $1100 on. I A-B'd both basses several times at cover gigs and the Hodad has more punch, a wider variety of sounds, and cuts through better. The bass is really light, the intonation is perfect (yes, it has an adjustable bridge), I think it looks really cool, everything functions the way it's supposed to. The only thing I've always disliked about Dan Electros is the way they set them up. I never played one in a store that I liked. When I bought mine the guy at the store set it up with really low action, and the bass feels absolutely amazining. Its a little bit of a drag that you have to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod, but hey, all the old Fenders are like that too.

I think everybody here should buy one of these, especially for $100. If you don't like it you can sell it easily for $200. I really think this is the best bargain I've ever seen in my life, and I recently picked up a Warwick Pro-M brand new for $500. Sold it the next week for $1000 :).

I think you are going to be a happy new bass owner Bob. I'd love to hear your comments when you get the bass and play yer first gig with it.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Joe, look at it this way, for 100 bucks a pop, you could but 3 or 4 of them, and always be able to have one ready to go, with all sorts of different setups (tunings, harware, pups, ect) and not have to worry about someone ripping off your spendy basses. WHo would wanna rip off a Dano? Well, besides you at this point?:)

6. Thankyou Mr Gollihur! - put my order in, and am now waiting for the "Danelectro Hodad Bass Deep Blue Pearl" to show up. Looks pretty damned good for ~$100 - thanks for the heads-up!

- Wil

BTW, I always thought that in the early days (before he moved to a Warwick) Jack Bruce at first played a Fender VI, and then a Gibson EB3 which was a short-scale bass...

7. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Holy cow that seems like a great deal! How long are they on backorder?

~halfnote

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Bob- You could take a stick from the discard bin at Samick and it would still sound like hot poop through that rig of yours!

Even though I don't want the Danny, turning others on to great deals is admirable thing.

9. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Thanks - actually, I found that the EA cabs strip you naked -- seems that the better rigs that don't inject their own sound, with their humps and bumps, are very revealing. Yeah, I can warm it up with the Kern, but the character of each of my basses are more noticeable than ever.

A double-edged sword. The slop is audible, too <g>.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I just tell `em my rig isn't transparent, that's just my "custom made TC 2290 processor"! ;)

11. I've seen a few pictures of Jake Bruce playing a bass in the same color that my Dano is in, I'm not sure how much he played it but I know he used to use it a few times.

12. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    For $100, I couldn't resist. I ordered a black one yesterday (Wednesday) and, low and behold, it was sitting on my porch today! I'm amazed... This thing is so cool! I have three fretlesses and an upright, but I haven't owned a fretted bass in many years. This thing sounds great, and has seven different pickup combinations. The knobs look like they could break off in a second, but I like the retro look. The only real negative I have noticed so far is that it is a bit neck heavy when on a strap, but its not that big a deal. Bob, thanks a ton for the heads up!

13. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    The bass gods are with you, Monkey. I ordered mine on the 2nd and haven't received so much as a tracking number. FWIW, I ordered online. White.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    NOOOO... I learned this info too late... went to place my order online and it said they either discontinued it or the manufacturer removed it from the website... damn... that was a hell of a deal.

15. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    i ordered tuesday and got mine yesterday, thursday. white. i like to play it, it is a "fun" bass. put on some fender flats and really like it now.

dave

16. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Davelowell, did you have to adjust the truss rod after putting the Fender flats on? I've been thinking about putting flats on mine, but it will be a pain to adjust the truss rod. You have to take the neck off. The rounds that it came with are lighter gauge than I prefer, and I'm sure the flats will put more tension on the neck.

17. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I missed my UPS guy 2 times dammit! I coulda had the bass (plus a new gig bag I ordered) yesterday. Now I gotta wait till Monday. I'm bummed.

You guys who got it already - how was the setup it came with. Did it need major adjustments - action high? Low? Do the basses seem defective at all?

18. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    the action was a little high when i got it, but that can be fixed. after i put on the flats, the strings would hit the back pup, so i just lowered it a little and voila! now it sounds cooler and the action is better. oh, another thing i noticed when i took off the old strings was that the bridge was loose?! so i tightened it down. i don't really know if it was supposed to be like that, but did it anyway.

dave

19. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Just got mine today. I was a little bummed out though. I ordered a Blue one, cause I already have a black one - and they look exactly the same unless you put them under a bright light :(. I called to try and exchange it for a white one but alas - they're all sold out :( :(.

Good news is though - it's discontinued. Dan Electro doesn't make them anymore. I like when things I own are dicontinued, it makes me think they're more valuable. I love this bass too.

I've got too many basses.

20. Hmmmmm.....

"Jake" Bruce? Is he any relation to Jack Bruce? :D :D :D

OK,my VISA is getting hot in my wallet! hehe...

CHARGE!!!!