Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Danelectro Innuendo Baritone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

This bass comes as a BARITONE guitar (not the bass 6), but I heard you can tune it an octave down "E to E" as well as a fifth or fourth.

Is this true????

Matthew West??

2. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    As far as I know, a baritone guitar is tuned to the same octave as a bass, but is tuned EADGBE like a guitar. Being that the scale is shorter and the strings are not as thick, its not as deep sounding as a bass, but not as bright as a guitar. I haven't been able to find a decent baritone guitar around where I live, but I'd like to play one when I do. From what I hear, some nu-metal (blah) guitarists are having some baritone guitars custom made by PRS to get an even lower tone than a 7 string, and with just 6 strings... I'd like to see the baritone guitar more common in instrument shops, but hopefully they don't become a nu-metal fad

Dave

3. Rockbobmel

Thanks,
    I am asking about specifics on the above. What a baritone guitar is not the subject.

4. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    you can tune it down an 8ve if you want, but you may need to change your strings, and perhaps tweak the trussrod.

quite do-able though.

fender do a 8ve down set (for the fender VI) as to d'aggioooo - (or however you spell it :) )

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Hmmm, I thought "innuendo" was an Italian proctologist :D :p :eek:

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    A bartione guitar is typically down a fourth or a fifth (ADGCEA) from regular guitar. Scale length around 27".

The E-to-E 6es are usually called "Bass six" or something like that, maybe "short-scale 6-string bass guitar" with emphasis on the guitar. Scale length 30".

Danelectro follows both these conventions.

RockBobby, I'd imagine that an E-E tuning on the Innuendo would sound a little floppy. They make the 30" scale "6-string bass" too, maybe check that out. A friend of mine has the Innuendo Bari and it's not so great (he tunes B-B).

7. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    i was tempted by one of the danelecto baritones.....

....until i got my fender VI

and i'll fight to the death if anyone calls it a guitar - it's a bass !!!

;)

8. Rockbobmel

What do you mean, not so great?
    The Bass 6 is butt ugly, and I can get the Innuendo for cheap.
    You think it will be too floppy at E to E?.
    I only want something to screw around with.
    I got more axes than I know what to do with now.
    Yea, a Silhouette Bass, or Fender VI would rule.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It doesn't stay in tune (has a trem bridge), and he breaks strings a lot. Not saying they're all that way. It's cheap though and you get what you pay for. If you want it to screw around with then it's probably fine.

You might have a hard time finding strings if you tune it E-E. The Dano strings are meant for A-A, they'll probably be pretty floppy and buzz a lot if you tune them down a whole fourth.

Most of the E-E sets you'll find are made for 30" scale probably, too.

10. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    never been keen on the look of the silhouette......

11. PLayed a MIJ bass VI today at sam ash, it was fun to play and sounded pretty good. A lot more bass-like then I expected, I didnt have to bump the bass on the amp or anything. The price was great too, like $650, with a ding on the back.

I also played a RB5, a 98 model, but its new, and clean, and $1090+tax :eek: I may sell my MIA P

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Whether you like the look or not, it is a much higher quality instrument than the Dano. Also costs a lot more too.

13. my bass teacher is selling a dan electro gbaritone guitar for 100$. Im gonna grab it.