Danelectro Long Horn bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by musichead, Aug 7, 2004.

1. musichead

Aug 7, 2004
    I'm new to the forum and am trying to locate a particular brand of bass. I already own a Danelectro long horn bass but would like to have another one as a backup. I have a problem with my shoulder and lower rib cage that causes me pain there if I strap on a bass that weighs too much. My Danelectro bass is just light enough that I can handle it, and no other bass I've tried with few exceptions can match how light it is. With most gigs being anywhere from 4 to 5 hours a night, I have to have something I can handle and the Danelectro fits the bill. I know that they've discontinued making guitars, except for pedals and accessories, but if anyone knows someone who has one they'd like to part with, I'd appreciate a reply. Thanks.

2. man, when did they stop with guitars???
    i liked them!

sorry i don't know where to get one though :(

3. Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    If you are interested in a high quality version of the Dano, visit Jerry Jones Guitars. These are the guitars Dano should have built.

4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Bought or stolen designs?

Also seem to have some kind of different controls.
  5. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Go here:

I also recommend Jerry Jones, I have a few and they are great basses.
  6. Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I believe that Jerry Jones had to change their body shape slightly in the later production runs for legal reasons. However, the new Danelectros, while some of their models look like the originals, are actually quite a bit different, and considered by many to be inferior to the originals. The owner of the Danelectro trademark simply purchased the rights to the name (and - I'm assuming - the patents), but didn't actually use the same construction methods. The Jerry Jones are more similar in construction and sound to the old Dannys except that JJ uses better materials, has a higher standard of quality control (straigher necks, etc.) and has improved some of the hardware (better tuners, adjustable bridge, etc.)

I have both a 1950's Silvertone (made by Dannelectro, and essentially the same except for the headstock having all 4 tuners on one side) and a 1990's JJ. I bought the JJ because the Danny, while sounding good, did not intonate well above the 5th fret (many of them had that problem). The Danelectro is now in storage and the JJ is my main bass.
  7. It's interesting, because Danelectros were cheap back in the day, and they are cheap now. The Danelectro corporation used Masonite to make the face and back of the old guitars. Yes, Masonite is cardboard. They were still made in the USA, and had most of the appointments that you see in the newer Danelectros. The old ones are of better quality than the newer ones, but they were cheap guitars at the time. I don't think Nathan Daniel would have imagined a 40 year old Longhorn bass selling for $1500, or even that a Longhorn bass would last 40 years.

The Jerry Jones stuff is neat because it attempts to build a good guitar with good materials out of the design of a cheap guitar. Which doesn't change that the originals sold for around $40 new, but the Jerry Jones stuff was around a grand last time I was vaguely interested. "Pawn shop chic"
  8. Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well that's just it. I bought a JJ because that's what I was looking for, not because I was looking for a cheap axe. That being said, I bought mine used on the 'bay for about $400.00, which was $200.00 less than I paid for the "collectable" Dannie, and superior in every functional/audible way.

I just had a quick google on "Jerry Jones Bass" and found a store that will sell a new JJ Longhorn for $650.00. Might be worth investigating...

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

All the ones i have played have been super light, i think they actually might be Chambered/Hollow. My favorite finish on them is the Seafoam green they do.
  10. Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes, they are hollow.
  11. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Cool, how much did you get?.
  13. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    If you're interested, Skjold Designs makes a bass that only weighs 6.5 lbs.. I was at the DFW Talkbass GTG and had the opportunity to play on of these basses (Thanks Pete) and it was incredible. Just thought you might like to know that there are other basses that are on the lighter side.

14. I was there too, And that swamp ash Skjold 5 string was lighter than my Longhorn!