1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Danelectro Longhorn Bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave K, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Dave K

Dave K

Sep 1, 2008
    I just bought a Danelectro longhorn reissue and I love the light weight and playability. The only thing that bugs me is the bridge seems kind of cheesy. It's anchored to the body with a single screw at the tail and has two screws to adjust height of the rosewood front. It also sags a little between the two screws from the tension of the middle two strings.

There is a "pro" replacement bridge available, but all it adds is saddles that move forward or backward to adjust intonation. They don't seem to do much to raise or lower each string or anchor to the body more solidly.

If you have any experience with a Danelectro longhorn reissue, what do you think about the bridge? Does it do the job despite the shortcomings? Has anybody replaced it with a different bridge? Even a basic Fender bridge seems like it would be an improvement.

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I have both the stick and Pro bridge on a couple of Dano RIs and I think the bridge is an integral element to getting that "Dano" sound.

The plate of the stick bridge on mine also sagged but all I had to do was bend a slight upward curve in the of front part of the plate. After that the pressure of the strings flexed the bridgeplate straight.

IME, the Pro bridge is a bit of PITA to intonate since the strings cover the saddles' set screws. But once it's set you're done.

BTW, the bridges plates on my original Silvertone Danos don't sag.

3. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    The bridge works fine on the Dano's. I have a DC bass with the rosewood saddle and a Hodad with the pro bridge. The height adjusters work fine, as the fingerboard has a relatively flat radius. The intonation is k with the non-adjustable saddle, and obviously with the pro bridge, you can set the intonation dead on. You will have a different tone if you swap the rosewood bridge for the pro, so keep that in mind. The bridge plate has been known to sag on the Dano's but it hasn't caused any issues with mine.

It's kind of funny to see someone complain about something on a Danelectro being "cheesy". The kitsch and cheese and cheapness is what gives these instruments their character.

4. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    I have two Longhorns, one converted lefty, and a lefty DC bass. The DC has the 'pro bridge, a damn cheesy upgrade lol! It's only 'advantage' is indeed the adjustable saddles. The plate, and plating work is still not that great. I am a bass repairman, and find the wooden saddle is just fine if you angle and file it properly to intonate it. I have no intonation or playability issues with the now sagging Dano bridge. It will adjust fine, the single back screw adjusts break angle, and partially, action height. The wooden saddle is held on by a single screw from underside the bridge plate, and can be replaced/modified by any competent repair person, as I did. I actually like it better now than my DC bass bridge!

5. I Agree...if you get a "well done" dano it won´t sound as a dano hehehe

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Not much to add here... The 'popsicle-stick' bridge is indeed one of the many attractions to me... Mine sagged and worked fine with the sag for several years... I just recently restrung it and used an arbor press to straighten the bridge... Still works fine, just without the sag, (which I fully expect to return)...

-robert

7. Mrkgtr49

Mrkgtr49

Jun 13, 2017
    I have a recent Longhorn bass (Chinese) and have restrung it with D'Adarrio Chromes. I have had no issues with it other than intonation. The E string was the most 'out', going sharp each fret up the neck. I thought the solution was the "Pro" bridge, but after reading these posts, I think I'll have my tech look at the rosewood bridge to see if he can adjust it.

8. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Some say the wooden bridge sounds better than the metal adjustable bridges . I tweaked my wooden bridge about ten years ago , haven't had to touch it since . I should also say the neck on my Longhorn is probably the most stable neck I own . Other basses require seasonal adjustments , the Dano doesn't move . If I was constantly fiddling with the Dano I'd be upset , but that simply is not the case .

9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Does it do the job? That sorta depends on the job. If you mean a bass' job back when these were originally made, when the frets above the 12th never got used, and you were fine if the intonation was "close enough"? Then, yes, they will do the job. My 3 Danos do that job just as well as my 4 basses with floating bridges of varying degrees of primitive-ness. Will they do the job if you're planning to be a featured solo player? Then, IMO, the answer is probably NO. If you find the right strings for that particular bass, you might get it to intonate "perfectly"; and it would probably stay there. But, IMO, you'd be much better off with something else. However, for the traditional role of the bass in vintage-y music, then yes, they'll do just fine...:thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017