Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Danelectro Longhorn

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deynn, May 2, 2001.

1. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I just got one of these today and so far haven't had any time to check it out. It is definitely a "cheap" bass....:)....but I keep hearing how much fun they are too play.
    Anyone care to share their Longhorn experience?...:)

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I love 'em (I recently played four sets with a blueburst one) but they generally don't stay in tune too well. The pro model is definitely better for that. Great tone, lotta fun to play and they look really retro/cool.

3. They sure are easy on the old back after a couple of sets with my Ripper.

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I have a longhorn, the only problem I had with mine was the push pegs, but they don't make them with push pegs anymore. They're definatly worth their money.

5. the location of the pushpins is horrible! :D

All in all, Danelectro offers "different" basses at a great price

6. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    If you like the Long Horn and want a better one check out www.jerryjonesguitars.com/
    He builds new ones with excellent quality

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    It's not a matter of the quality. The cool things about Longhorn's is that they're supposed to be cheap basses, and built to be cheap, but they actually sound very good.

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Too bad they're so ugly. :p

9. I tend to agree, the funny thing is that when I gig my Longhorn I get many more “cool bass” type comments from the audiences than when I’m playing my Sadowsky.

I must admit I don’t use it very much now, but when I do I am always pleased by it’s comfort and sound, especially as it is the cheapest bass I own.

Don't think I would ever part with it.

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I agree, as cheap as my longhorn was, I don't think I'd ever part with it. It's kinda like a p-bass... it'll always be something nice to have.

11. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Well, so far....I have found out that the Longhorn is extremely light....has some very good LOWS....
    and that you have to remove the neck to adjust the trussrod!....:)

12. I have a Dano Longhorn, and I suggest replacing the output jack, cuz mine is f'ed up! It sounds kinda cool and it has a cool vintage look, but don't be surprised if something breaks or doesn't work.

13. jazzbass1

jazzbass1

Dec 2, 2000
    I have 2, a copperburst and an aqua, the tape on the aqua wouldn't stay down, so I removed it, looks better that way. They don't get played much at all, but they are light, have a cool look and sound, easy to play.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I though about picking one up for the heck of it..all my friends think it's the Fuglyiest thing tehy ever saw. I really like them! Cool, but cheap. Wait...cool, cheap...could you ask for anything more? Rhetorical Question!!

15. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Hey....anyone ever defret one of these things?....:)

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Nope, but I've thought about it. It wouldn't be very hard, I mean the frets aren't actually in the fretboard, they're litterally on top of it. It might sound good though, it has a rosewood fretboard.

17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Defret it, add some Barts, hip-shots, straplocks, new active eq, in board drum machine, fiber-optic inlays, and gold machining...Hey wait a minute, I could have bought a Hyper bass.

Now at a music store near you, the new Danelectro Longhorn - Hyperbass. MSRP $9,000.

18. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'll echo that. I bought one for my son to learn on (he's since laid claim to my Hamer), and it really is a fun little bass. Big sound for little money. Yes, they are bit on the flimsy side, but they do have a unique sound. I've said this before, but the night I took my son's to a jam night to christen it, I was up against a Warwick 5, a Yamaha 6, a Modulus 5, and a 1963 Precision. I held my own sound wise up until that Precision.
    Famous players? - John Entwhistle (early Who), Jack Bruce (early Cream), Tony Stevens (Savoy Brown and Foghat). For you movie buffs, my son caught one in the bar scene of Pillow Talk with Doris Day.

19. ive never played the longhorn. but damn they are ugly :D

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    JR...the line between ugly and retro is a thin one...:)