1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Danelectro Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by caeman, Apr 30, 2010.

1. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    The Danelectro FAB pedals. They are cheap and targeted at guitars, but I have been experimenting with them with my bass and I must say, I like the sounds. I am using the Echo and Chorus pedals.

At $15 each, they have been worth the experiment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I have a Fab Chorus that I've used off and on for three years or so. It's a ridiculously good sounding chorus considering that it only costs $15. Someday I might just break down and try to re-house it in a more sturdy case with a better switch. The distortions and overdrives from the FAB line sound really good on guitar, too.

3. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    There is a fairly non-trivial fix for the Echo pedal to give it an adjustable delay. But with my soldering kills, I had better have a second one on hand if I dare try it.

I wish Dano would make a FAB Octave pedal now. :)

Remounting the internals in a metal box is a good idea. A big enough box, you could mount several in on box.

4. :eyebrow: Hmmm... :ninja:

5. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    You could avoid some cable hum by directly routing wires on the OUT to IN from board to board.

Or just leave the ports accessible and still use the pedal cords to connect them in any order you wish.

6. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    I had the Echo on my board for a while, didnt do it for me

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ive thought about buying a Danelectro pedal before, maybe I'll pick up the chorus next time I have a couple extra bucks.

8. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Has anyone here tried the Octave pedal with a bass?

9. krafty

krafty

Mar 22, 2010
    Holland, MI
    Is there much difference between the Fab and Cool Cat pedals? My local guitar store has a bunch of the Cool Cats on their clearance table.

10. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Just looking at their descriptions alone, the Cool Cat line are metal cases. And there is a Vibe and Trem pedal option not in the FAB line.

It didn't bother me that the FAB was plastic. I use my fingers to press the switch.

11. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    the octaver is great! octave alone is quite naturally sounding (compared to Boss OC-2, which is synthy sounding), but when you mix in, the two pedals are very similar... for synthy stuff, get an OC-2, for mixed, the dano will do... I wonder how durable they are, maybe the OC-2 is a better investment?

I'm not really a chorus guy, but the old 18V cool cat is great, I hear the new Cool cat series is very good too (cool cat fuzz and chorus), i might get the fuzz... on the other hand, I'm considering the french toast octave fuzz, but I might not need it as I found a cheap EHX bass synth... will have to do a comparison when I get a chance, my friend has a load of danos :)

I also used to have the old fab tone distortion (brown one, if I recall correctly) and didn't really like it... maybe with some cleans blended in, but at that time, i didn't have a blender...

for home use, they must be heard to beat (price/performance-wise), better than behringers or multis... one might not want to tour with them, but on the other hand, having two of each is still rather cheap :)

12. I have the chicken salad vibrato... it is bad ass.

13. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    If I were an active gigger on the road, I think I would demand that everything be made of metal with switches that sounded like old IBM typewriters (the kind that never broke, ever, even when hit with a hammer).

The Octave -- not the Octave Distortion -- is next on my wish list.

14. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I have the FAB Flange -- it's a very respectable flanger, especially at $15.

15. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Danelectro makes awesome chorus pedals. I bought a danelectro fab chorus pedal and it sounds amazing for a 15 dollar chorus pedal. it gives my bass a smooth retro chorus sound. I definitely would recommend danelectro chorus pedals to those looking for a good affordable chorus pedal.

16. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    What kind of songs do you use the Flange for? For the songs I play (P&W, klezmer, bluegrass), it sounds too weird to be useful.

17. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I wen from a Hardwire Chorus, to MXR Micro Chorus to a Danelectro Cool Cat chorus.

The Dan was $40 and sounds as good as the other, while having a very important Mix knob and a super versatile EQ knob.

I love it.

18. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    The Chili Dog Octave is awsome, my guitarist uses one, and for free, it sounds great, even for the $30 it costs new, its a great octave. I thought about getting the Cool Cat Tremolo, but I'm probably picking up a DOD Vibrothang instead.

19. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    El Presidente of Sanford and Sonny Audio Weapons (Bluebeard Fuzz)
  20. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    P&W? I use some kind of modulation on almost everything I do. I'd use it in the same spot as a chorus or phaser, though I feel flangers can get way weirder. I bet a flanger would sound good in klezmer if you set it right.