danelectro rumor bass? hmm?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pike66, Aug 13, 2001.

1. pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    hey all.
    it makes me think.
    it looks cool. and they say it's "vintage" and "retro" sounding. and it's cheap as hell.
    so, because it's so cheap, is the Danelectro Rumor Bass a piece of monkey poo?
    I really want one. I want to buy one just out of sheer internet impulse. and the fact that I want something new to play with.
    anybody have any experience with these relatively new basses?
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Its cool. i would get one just cuz its cheap. its bassicly, "Heres a bass with a cool built in effect!" If it didnt have that effect. it would suck. if you get it. just change the pickups. youd have a awesome looking (and awesome SOUNDING) Bass.
  3. pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    thanks to the marvel of the internet,
    i've found some more feedback on the rumor bass.
    polly, you had a good idea about replacing the pickups.
    but, i'll leave them in, due to danelectro's so called "retro" tuning in them.
    the only thing i'm worried about with this bass is that it's said to be very very light in weight.
    it may not handle road use, as I'm in band that plays out a bit. but, if i take extra special care of it, it'll be good.

i don't really care about the chorus effect. i saw the bass, and wanted it for the sound of it alone, without the effect. so the bypass input is quite useful.
  4. bufordtgooch

May 19, 2011
    I recently picked up a Danelectro Rumor from a buddy of mine and I absolutely love it. My main axe for the better part of a decade has been a Dean Edge I lefty, but now I only play the Dean when I can't play the Dani. And the light weight is a definite plus. In my opinion, the chorus effect is set perfectly. No tweaking necessary. I run it through a GK Backline 600 head, an Ampeg 8x10, with Boss, Digitech, and HardWire stompboxes. Clean or dirty, it's an all-around great sounding bass.
  5. Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass bufordtgooch.

Kudos for searching before making a new thread.

And congrats for what must be one of the best relevant BUMPs of the recent TB history.

6. Holy thread resurections Batman!!

Still, welcome to TB :)
  7. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    New York USA
    Relevant if you're interested. Easy to ignore if you're not.

Mine. I love them (replaced pups, bridge, tuners, disconnected on-board effect). BUT they proved to be unstable in differing climates - neck will sometimes backbow for sitar-like effect. Oh well - they record great but I don't use them for everyday anymore. Still dig 'em - light as feathers!