Danelectro Shift Daddy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FreeSpirit, Feb 11, 2005.

1. So today(Feb.11) Long and Mcquade music had a huge sale or whatever. some really good prices all over the store, anywhoo. They had the Danelectro Shift Daddy from regular 95$ to 45$. so i thought what the heck i should try it out its a good price. man i just got home and plugged her in and i don;t understand the tone sounds like crap. i mean the "wah wah" effect it gives is hideous. does anyone else have one and if so have you done anything special to get a better tone? I'm thinking i'll return it tommorow and save a little for a better wah.
  2. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Uh, that pedal isn't meant to be a wah pedal. It's a pitch shifting delay type thing with a treadle. It just looks (vaguely) like a wah.
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Correct, it's not a wah. It's not even a real pitch shifter. It just shifts the pitch a little bit, sort of like a Bigsby style vibrato arm. Return it, and if you want a wah make sure to get a bass wah so you don't lose all of your low end.
  4. K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Bump. I just picked one of these up - this pedal is/am/are weird!!! Preset buttons for how much reverb (space, arena, something else, slapback) and amount of mix for wet/dry. (pedal is not here, it's at my practice space). There's a forward and reverse shift setting, I don't know exactly what that means (I need to find a manual) but they sound slightly different. Forward might put the warble in front of your clean tone, and vice-versa. (Wild guess).

When you engage the treadle, it sounds like a drunk is working your tremolo bar. It can warble or do unpredictable (but slight) pitch poopiefts. It's very weird and somewhat unpredictable (at least right now). Maybe not a use-it-for-every-song pedal, but unusual and worth trying. To my ear, it seems to add bass, if anything (not cut bass, IMO).

There's a sticker on mine saying Use Slight Movements! or something like that. Regular wah action is not the way to go. Small, erratic movements seem to give good results.

Next time there is a thread asking to "name some weird pedals" consider the Shift Daddy. It's big, heavy and ugly, but it sounds weird.
  5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Washington DC
    I ain't got paid to play in months