1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Danelectro Shorthorn or Longhorn Body Style?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzman64, May 3, 2021 at 3:01 PM.

1. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    The Dano site changes every year with new colors and reissues .

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I've been looking for a copper long scale - been looking for years.

3. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

Longhorn!! Had a copper burst and I really enjoyed that bass while I had it
    If I ever get a chance on a black one I’ll probably jump on it!

4. moderatelyfunky

moderatelyfunky Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2020
    I’ve heard quite a few times since I’ve been here that if the upper horn doesn’t get to the neighborhood of the 12th fret, chances are good that it’s a neck diver.

How are the short horn and dolphin nose for balance?

5. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    My father bought me a '59 U1 guitar with those bar truss rods. I still have that guitar and I've never had trouble with the neck. The dolphin noses all had those same twin truss bars, and they all had neck problems. Could have been bad set-ups. The store certainly would not have known how to set up a bass, and the kids would assume that straight from the store the bass was like it should be.

6. Gotta love the wood saddles on the old ones...My choice would be the short horn.
    Edit: where'my poll? lol

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 8:52 PM
  7. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    One of each!

8. dangevans

dangevans

Mar 26, 2014
    I love both, but the Longhorn wins. Mine is a Jerry Jones, but everywhere I go, people (including bandmates) refer to it as the "Danelectro"... Kind of like how a lot of people still refer to any brand P Bass as a "Fender Bass". Danelectro IS Longhorn! :)

el jeffe bass and bassfran like this.
  9. Up here (northern NY) it’s cold most of the time. One of the colloquialisms is “throw another Danelectro on the fire, it’s getting chilly in here”. Yes, of course I’m kidding. Get the Longhorn.

10. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Me too!

JimmyM likes this.
  11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    All I know is the necks on my dolphin nose basses have no issues but they're the only original dolphin noses I've ever played. One of mine is very minty, the second is a player grade.

The third I bought at a yard sale as a box of parts with the frets yanked from the neck and the neck narrowed to a bit under 1.5" at the nut. The neck was still straight. I eventually had it refretted, replaced the skate key tuners with Kluson style Pings, DIY'd an aluminum nut to fit the narrowed neck and installed a Pro bridge. That one is my current goto of the three.

One thing I did do was install a flat shim in the neck pockets to achieve lower action but the necks are straight.

I don't know, maybe I got lucky with them. Then again, as far as I can tell these basses never left their state of manufacture so maybe there are some change in environment/climate issues they were never exposed to.

12. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Longhorn. Just wish it had a long scale neck.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  13. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    This is TalkBass. Both!

el jeffe bass and bobyoung53 like this.
  14. Long...

upload_2021-5-3_19-59-16.jpeg

big_65_richmond-longhorn.jpg

b06b69dc0e94358f26b9a59a794253cc--jack-bruce-jack-oconnell.jpg

15. Longhorn, where's the poll?

DJ Bebop likes this.

16. Do you find the Jerry Jones to be significantly better than a Danelectro? I've always wanted one but wasn't sure which to get especially considering the price difference now.

dangevans and DJ Bebop like this.
  17. What do you guys do for cases with these things, I will not use a gig bag.

18. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    rllefebv likes this.
  19. Supadope

Supadope Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    My goal is to leave the world a cooler place than when I arrived.
    My longhorn is a joy to play. Definitely one of my favorites.

REV likes this.
  20. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I have owned several Longhorns and use one to record with quite often. I have always wanted to find a good shorthorn for the long scale.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021