1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Danelectro Shorthorn or Longhorn Body Style?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzman64, May 3, 2021 at 3:01 PM.

1. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    Never saw the short horn versions! Pleas post some pics,please! Never liked the long horn look.

2. Guitalia

Guitalia

Jun 7, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Peter Cetera of the band Chicago said in an interview that when he got his first bass, he assumed that it was supposed to be tuned up to the same pitch as the bottom four strings of a guitar, so he tried doing that. Looking back, he said that he's amazed that he didn't snap the neck of the bass.

bobyoung53 and DJ Bebop like this.
  3. Guitalia

Guitalia

Jun 7, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    The tuners on the Jerry Jones basses are definitely better than those on my original early '60s dolphin-nose Sears/Danelectro, and the bridge is arguably better, but I've always been happy with my Danelectro, especially after stringing it with the La Bella Dan Electro Stainless Flats.

bobyoung53 likes this.

4. Thanks.

5. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    His experience was less harrowing than mine. I was in a band, needed a bass, had no bass, but I did have the U1. Ignoring such niceties as scale and fret placement, I jury-rigged a bridge/tailpiece and mounted it as far back on the body as I could.

Even worse, I did not know there had to be a wood block under the top for the screws to gain purchase in. Mine went through the Masonite top and that was all. Came time to tune the "bass" up to pitch and I had almost got there, when the bridge/tailpiece pulled free and whizzed past my face. Almost took the tip of my nose with it.

6. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    the DC used to only be available as a long scale until recently , I’ve got a short scale on order

1C6CEC29-DF10-4E36-8CF4-6164A3C10AF0.jpeg

7. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Winter Park, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    I’m a little biased because my first bass was a long scale shorthorn bass. Right now I own a older blue burst long horn reissue and an original shorthorn. Of those two I definitely prefer the longhorn. I’m still thinking about picking up a new long scale shorthorn.

8. dangevans

dangevans

Mar 26, 2014
    Yeah... it is insane. I bet I could get about $2000 or more for mine, but it is a bass that I will never get rid of, and prefer it to be passed down through my family after I am planted! :)

You know, is ANYONE out there making decent quality repos of Dano's like Jerry did? I know the actual Danelectros are supposed to be okay, but I am wonder if anyone ever took the torch after Jerry retired. If I had the equipment and expertise, I would do it in a heartbeat!

9. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    JimmyM likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
  11. Supadope

Supadope Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    My goal is to leave the world a cooler place than when I arrived.
    So I got my Longhorn sometime in the 90’s. I think the re-issues were just gaining traction at that time. Back then, Mom’s Music would have an annual invitation-only sale for the local customers. I went to the sale and started perusing the inventory and came across this strange bass. I tinkered with it in the store for a while. I really loved the way it played. It had a $175 price tag which was a lot for me at the time. So I set it down and decided to look around at the other stuff in the store.

But I was drawn to the Longhorn. And dammit some other guy picked it up and started playing it. He was like me. He played it, looked at the price tag, played it, looked at the price tag, and played it some more. At this point I was stalking the bass. I wanted it. But I missed out and it was in someone else’s hands. He kept playing it, looking at the price tag, and playing it. Then he looked at the price tag one last time and set it down.

I quickly but casually walked over and grabbed it, then went to the counter and bought it. The deal was done. And it’s truly one of the best that I own. I love this thing.

C1D578D5-0534-4170-93EF-0D09EF84AAE5.jpeg

Haroldo, DJ Bebop, msb and 1 other person like this.
  12. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I have a similar story , the local dealer was having a blowout sale and said the Longhorns were going for $200 . I was late seeing the ad but was at the store early for the second day of the sale . Nose pressed up against the glass . They had two that sold on the first day . Gone .
    A couple of months later I got a call from the music store , they found one in the stockroom and offered me the sale deal .
    I was there in twenty minutes ...

Supadope likes this.
  13. Supadope

Supadope Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    My goal is to leave the world a cooler place than when I arrived.
    You gotta love a good deal! ...and good local music stores!

14. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    You cultivate a relationship with your music store , and sometimes they look after you . Always made a point of buying things from them . Still do .

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021