Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

danelectro sitar swami???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kirby, Mar 18, 2003.

1. kirby

kirby

Feb 24, 2003
    Have anyone tried that pedal??? opinions? does it work well with bass? any other really weird effects pedals like this one?

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've tried it with a fretless bass. It's only soso cool. This pedal mostly sucks, unless you are into useless noisy effects. I have 23 pedals on my board, and I couldn't see this one making it on there. Ick.

3. I tried it (with a guitar) thinking that it would be cool. Who wouldn't want their guitar to sound like a sitar every now and then. :D Anyway, the pedal really sucks. It was one of the most disapointing things I've ever tried. It didn't sound anything like a sitar. What's more the sound that it did produce was one of the most awful sounds I've ever heard come out of a guitar.

4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I've always wanted an electric tanpura to use with my sitar and oud. It was sound way cool with an upright, too. Pretty dang expensive, though...

5. some on that page were under $300 I think? Wouldn't that be fun to jam with though?!

6. I've only heard bad things about this pedal.

Pity, cos it's a great idea, and pretty cheap ($149) too.

7. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    it sounds like crap...

that is all

Alex

:rolleyes:

8. I got a pretty damn good Taurus-like-sound with that pedal hooked with my Q tron though, other than that, i think it's useless

9. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I just want one of these. forget a lousy pedal.

[​IMG]

10. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Killdar, that is a much nicer one than mine. Mine doesn't have the resonator on the neck, or the nice carving on the body, and mine only(!) has 19 strings. What a pain in the butt to tune!:mad:

I don't get mine out as much as I should, but it really is a fun instrument. The pick you have to wear on your index finger hurts like crazy, though...

11. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    How about a bass sitar?
    Link

12. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Wow, Slam, you and I have similar tastes. I think we are both among the few reggae players around here (with Mad Subwoofer). I have a great surbahar CD, and a sitar/surbahar duet on vinyl that is cool. The surbahar CD is interesting, because the music is structured a little differently than most sitar music I've heard. The alap section is longer, which is the solo part at the beginning of a performance, where the player slowly develops the raga. That sucker goes low, too!:D

13. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Hey Monkey let's start a reggae-raga band. Imagine the dub possibilities. :D

14. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I'm there, Slam. "A little dub will do ya!":D