Danelectro tenor bass- See it! Hear it!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fluke, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
    Okay, so i long ago decided to convert the Danelectro Longhorn into a tenor bass, since the E string was pretty much unusable. This might just be because of the string, but anyway i bought a Labella high C today. It's light gauge even for being a high C, which makes it look a bit odd considering the other strings (that came on the 'horn) are quite heavy, and it's steel which also makes it different from the nickels that are on.

But anyway, i stashed away the E string and moved the three others to new positions. Then i discovered that the G string wasn't long enough to fit onto the further-away 2nd string-tuner, so i had to put it in the 1st tuner while the new, high C string goes in the 2nd! Looks weird, but it works if just a bit confusing to tune sometimes. And some Foderas that go for $3000 have the strings threaded like that, too!

Anyway i was really surprised at how much better the bass sounded because i also cleaned the old strings up. The high C really plays flawlessly, and that's something i didn't expect to say about this bass ever! And i did some recordings that you can hear at http://oljaresdemoes.iuma.com where you can also see what the whole thing looks like, including the headstock. Who said you couldn't slap on a Danelectro? I think i have, many many times, but right now at least it seems to work, due to the setup i guess. Any other comments about the sound or my playing is appreciated...
  2. Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
  3. Crap

May 16, 2003
    that thing sounds great! is it stock or what?? other than the strings of course.

i've always heard mixed reviews about how those longhorns sound. i guess you're happy with yours??
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    That's interesting. I had actually thought of buying a Cello, which would also be tuned like that. I wonder how different a rock band would sound that played that way... I mean, it's probably common in other genres... But rock bassists usually hang low.

er, maybe I should say "play" low. ;)
  5. Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
    No it's all stock including the strings, only the high C is new. I thought it was really terrible until now that i changed the strings. They're really still nothing but toys though, the new Hodad seems like a step up because it is made out of real wood (i think?)