Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Danelectro UB2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, Feb 25, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys, do you guys have any clue where I could find one of these? I want any bass with 6 strings tuned down an octave to teh guitar, so if you guys have any info on the Fender VI or any other basses liek this (i think the hagstrom Coronado???) itd be greatly apreciated.

Thanks for your time,

~JB~

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    There's a Dano 6-string bass on ebay right now. I've got a couple 6-string basses, I love the feel and sound.
    Mine:

3. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Thanks!

Can you take a baritone guitar and restring it with bass strings and make it into a 6 string bass???

~JB~

4. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Anybody????

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, the strings would be very floppy, since baritone scale is about 27.5". You may be able to get it to work okay, but 30" is about the shortest useable, in my experience. Also, the tuners would have to be changed.

6. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Got any suggestoins for baritones i could do this with???

Anyways, I couldnt find many 6 stringers when I looked up danelectro bass, but as soon as I looked up danelectro Baritone...JACKPOT.

So is a 6stringer technically a baritone??

Know of any other 6 string basses???

Thanks,
    ~JB~

7. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    A baritone is tuned B to B, while a six string bass (or bass VI style bass) is tuned like a guitar E to E an octave lower. I agree with the previous posts that trying to convert a bari to a bass VI would not work well. Play one of each and you'll see. The six string bass tuned like a guitar is kind of a niche market. I recall that Ernie Ball makes a six string called the Silhouette.

That said, the bari is a nice deep tic-tac cross between the bass and guitar, and it may offer what you're after.

8. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Thanks for the input.

Even tho the Bari sounds nice, the 6 string bass still is what im after. But i thought the bari might have been similar since the fender VI is also known as a bari. I just presumed that dano caleld theyre 6string basses bari's to appeal to guitarists.

BTW i couldnt find that 6 stringer on ebay you were talking about. only one that said "Danelectro Baritone???" Is that what you were talking about??

Thanks again,
    ~JB~

P.s. Ok so theres the dano ub2, musicman silhouette,
    hagstrom coronado, and fender VI anythign else???

9. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey!

three things:

1. could a moderator change the title of this thread to sumthing like "6 string basses" just to get soem more eyes on this thread???
    2. How can you tell a baritone guitar from a 6 string bass just by looking???
    3.About that whole baritone guitar conversion thing...The silhouette bass has a 29 inch scale so were you a little off on what you said earlier, or are the strings on this thing gonna flop around like wet noodles?

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Also look at the Schecter Hellcat VI which is similar to the Fender Bass VI which I've seen online in the US for <$500 new.

11. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Sweet thanks man.

So i've heard that the fender jaguar baritone was meant to replace the fender VI. What is tuned at? B-B??

~JB~

12. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    www.jerryjonesguitars.com
    The Longhorn BassVI in my post above is from here. They also have two baritone models.
    The easiest way to tell a bari from a BassVI just by looking is; the top two strings on a bari are usually plain/unwound.