Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Danelectro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maillotjaune, Jun 21, 2001.

1. maillotjaune

maillotjaune Guest

Jun 16, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Has anyone used the Danelctro Nifty 70 bass amp? If its not that great what are some other godd newbie amps under $200. I'm just starting out and it seems like a good deal.

2. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i tried that vox 25w amp in the store the other day and liked it. plenty loud and decent tone. i think it's just a little over 200.

3. I didn't like the Dano stuff at all...seems really "novelty" for lack of a better term. The Nifty70 just sounded to me like a speaker stuck in a lunchbox. I agree totally with Captainpabst the VOX 25 watter kicks! I couldn't get over how full and loud it was for such a little amp not to mention it looks as good as it sounds.

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Depends what you want it for e.g. a decorative item i think Dano gear is great-i know this sounds really dumb but it has a nice look but in my experience the bulk of the stuff is on the low end of decent. For around $200 Fender BassMan 25. I'm a fenderholic though so i'm kinda biased :D

Edit:BassMan 25 is like $270 from MF-thus possibly making it outta your range.

5. xHarperx

xHarperx

May 8, 2001
    Fender.. smender....crender.....bender....= crap!

6. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    yeah, i think the bassman 25 is a little over $200 most places. to be honest, i think i like the vox better than most small amps i've tried (fender, peavy, trace). it's all about YOUR ears though.

i actually own a danelectro hodad bass. i only bought it because it was 100 bux (brand new - closeout!), and i really like it for the price. the playability is great, lots of tonal variation (selectomatic 7 position switch - 3 pickups!), and it looks...well...unique. yeah, a little bit gimmicky but so what. it holds up against stuff in the price range (not 100 closeout, i mean 380 or so like at mars/guitar center).

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the Fender Bassman 25. It's louder than most other comparably priced combos(louder than the 50 watt Ampeg BA112!) and also handles the low B of a 5 or 6 string much better than other small amps as well.

However, I think that you will have a hard time finding one for less than $250, unless it is used.

8. I kinda like the little Vox amp. It's really too bad they don't make more bass amps. The Vox AC-30 (tube guitar amp) rules. It'd be nice if they made a bass amp with the same sweetness factor as the AC-30. Did I just say sweetness factor?

9. yes you did.......

I wouldn't mind McCartney's vox from the 60's...