1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Danelectro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andinapalm, Dec 10, 2006.

1. andinapalm

andinapalm

Nov 14, 2006
    Finland
    Does anyone here use Danelectro basses? I've been thinkin' of buying a longhorn reissue since I need a shortscale. Haven't tried it though. My only experiences with Danos are with electric guitars. So if anyone owns a Dano bass please share your experienses. Pros, cons?

2. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I had a Dano DC grey sparkle a few years ago. Nice sub-$200 bass, but not really a serious instrument IMHO. I only bought it b/c I was living in Hawaii at the time and I wanted a bass to remember my time there.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005

I still own a Dano DC (long scale) and it's a good bass for the money. I've played the shorter scale longhorns and find them equally good. In fact, my first bass, back in 1961 was an original Longhorn.

There are a couple good things about them and a couple bad. Good-necks are very nice with good fret finishing.
    Very light and easy on the back.
    The sound is tight and focused and you can coax some bottom end out of them.

Bad-tuning pegs are dinky guitar types-a real pain, unless you get one with the updated tuning keys.
    Wiring is a rat's nest inside. Good luck trying to figure it out if something goes wrong.
    No matter how much boost you put on the bass, the sound doesn't fill in the bottom end like a good P bass.
    The pickups are cheesy and very noisy in some environments unless both volumes are the same.

They sound particularly good though with a couple acoustic guitar players. They do have a bit of an acoustic sound to them.

Not really a serious bass for a pro to use as his main bass.

4. andinapalm

andinapalm

Nov 14, 2006
    Finland
    "Not really a serious bass for a pro to use as his main bass."

Sounds like a right bass for me! I usually fall in love with cheap weird retro instruments...

5. I have a reissue Longhorn MKI, and I would agree with the above review. I can get a woody tone out of it (flats help) but I would be hesitant to use it as a gigging bass. If it turns out to be your favorite flavor, i'd check out a Jerry Jones.

6. bdeaux

bdeaux Bass, the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2002
    Salt Lake City based
    Branden Campbell
    I have a DC silver sparkle and I love it. I went to buy a Hofner Club Bass and realized that I liked my Dano more. It has a great woody tone, and great warmth. It is cheap, but I like it that way. I like to use the Dano bass strings, esp after they've been broken in a bit.

Sound sample on www.myspace.com/marcusbently - listen to the song "Alison". Dano DC bass into a Sansamp Bass Driver split into an Avalon U5. I chose the Dano for these sessions over a Gibson T-bird, Lakland P w/ Darkstar, Ric 4003, and a variety of Fenders. I love all my basses, but the Dano was the right one this time. I recommend them.

Oh, and I hear the Hodad bass is a swiss-army-knife in the studio, it has 3 pickups.

7. the danelectro long scale necks-that is the basses that are not the longhorns have an easy playing neck. the longhorns, with a shortscale are for sure something you must try first before you buy. why? even tho i played a gibson ebo (solid body sg style) which had a 30.5" shortscale & loved it, i found the danelectro longhorns IMHO are not at all comfortable to play when we are speaking of fretboard spacing. the frets are much closer together & it isn't as much fun/easy to play up the neck between the longhorns as you may think. they tend to get in the way. all danny basses have a trebly sound-long & shortscale that you may also dislike. by the way, i love danelectro guitars & owned a 60's silvertone lipstick pickup guitar & a 80's 90's danoblaster. i just don't like their basses, especially the longhorn shortscale.

8. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    I own a reissue blue-burst longhorn. For gigging, it wouldn't even be my back-up, but that's only because I have a few other very qualified basses for that job. However, it's a good "novelty" bass for some special gigs where nostalgia is a factor, or a gig with lots of acoustic instruments.

I have a hard time playing the longhorn in my band, probably because we are a loud band. However, if I were to throw on a set of flats I'd fit right in in a jazz gig.

It has a very distinctive, trebly tone. And if you like a good chunky neck, you'll like the longhorn too.

9. andinapalm

andinapalm

Nov 14, 2006
    Finland
    Love chunky short necks! I might make a custom black pickguard to it and replace the plastic knobs with chromes and put some fender flats on...

10. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    Yeah, I had to replace the knobs too.. threw on some standard Gibson Barrel Knobs on there, tight fit but looks great. If that custom guard does work out, pls send or post a picture, as I'm looking to put some sort of custom guard on mine too.

11. andinapalm

andinapalm

Nov 14, 2006
    Finland
    Yep. I'll start working with the pickguard as soon as I can get some money together to buy the bass :) I really dig the Limo Black colour so mine will be completely black. For the pickguard I was thinkin some piece of veneer or something that I'll simply just paint black and decorate with white paint...

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I own, play and gig with a Danlectro Longhorn. Mine is a bleck limo, first reissues so with rosewood bridge and non upgraded tuners.

I totally love both playability and sound and I actually (the last year) play this cheap Dano more than my Fenders.

For sure the bass is cheap, but the superfat and clean tone is great for me. Great for old style rock-roll, R&B, blues.

I am considering a second Dano, I would like to have one for flats and one for round...

13. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    I have a Dano Hodad, and absolutely love it!!! With the "all-play" switch engaged, it's got killer tone. I also have two Jaguars, a Jazz, a '51 P Reissue, two TBC's, a bunch of old Univox'x, some Silvertones, blah, blah, blah......but what I'm getting at is while the Fenders are my main gigging basses, I do gig with the Dano. Yeah. it's cheaply made, but a real cool vive, and sounds great.
    My big old two pickup Danelectro made Silvertone is an awesome bass!!! Here's a few pics of my Danos, as well as a Teisco Silvertone, which also sounds killer::

14. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    Here's the Teisco:

15. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    My Teisco is exactly like that. It's my main bass, and it's also my favorite of any bass I've ever played. Ever.

16. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I agree with everything posted above about the Danos except I don't find the short scale on the longhorns give me any trouble. Others may though.

Flats do improve the sound a lot. I used Thomastics on my DC re-issue and the sound went from twangy Duane Eddy to an almost upright like sound. With a very small amount of foam muting under the strings up against the bridge the sound is quite good. I took it along as a spare on some R and B gigs but when I used it, usually in the last set when my shoulder was giving out from using my Precision, it was a bit of a letdown after the rich sound of the P. If you use flats and have the dinky guitar type tuners, you may have to drill the hole in the E string tuner out a bit bigger. I had to do that on mine.

My original Longhorn in 1961 came with factory installed round wounds, even though Bass Player magazine said they hadn't been used on bass until much later. Of course, none of those guys had even been born then, so what would they know? I bought it for under $100 new.

As I mentioned earlier, the fret work on the reissues available now is very good, actually better than many new Fenders I've played. It's certainly better than the original.The neck is quite narrow and doesn't widen and thicken much towards the body. String spacing is narrow compared to a P so you have to adapt a bit with your right hand. It's easier to play with a pick than fingers for me. The bass is very light-maybe 5 1/2 lbs or so.

I tried one of the Hodad basses and you could get more of a Jazz bass sound out of it by playing with the pickup selectors.

I also tried a Jerry Jones copy and though it's a nicely made bass, it doesn't quite capture the sound of the reissue or the original.

All in all I think that the Dano Longhorn is a much better buy than a Hofner. There's a huge price difference but the Dano with flatwounds gets very close to that same sound.

I'm intending to keep my DC. One thing it's great for is hopping on a subway across town for a quick rehearsal at a reharsal studio. In a soft case it weighs next to nothing and you can really get around easily. If you can get a good deal on either the DC or the Longhorn, it's worth it for it's uniqueness. The first re-issue is probably a better bass. They were all over the place when they first came out and selling for $300 or so new. Then they suddenly disappeared. Too bad as they would make a good starter bass for a very young player whose arms haven't grown to full length yet.

Joey Spmpanito from NRBQ gets a great live sound out of his originals and Jerry Jones copies through a big SVT rig.

17. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Did you buy it at Island Guitar? I played one matching that description there 5 or 6 years ago. It was a decent bass, especially for the price.

I now have a U2 short scale. I like it a lot. I have Chromes on it, and it sounds great. I can even get some growl out of it.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

They are good vintage tones are low prices.

19. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    Man, it does me good to read those word!!! I've been playing for almost 40 yesra, had a lot of basses, and still love the sound (and feel) of those old basses as much as any high end stuff out there. So much of "the sound" is what's in our hands and head.....

20. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia

Great post! I totally agree with you impressions. Just to add that I think the same of the Hofner-Dano comparison and I also think that Joey is a great player!