Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wild Bill, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I was just wondering about the quality of Danelectro basses. They are priced very low and I have been looking for a nice back-up bass. just trying to think of which one would be best. any comments?

P.S. I like the Rumor bass' look
  2. I have a Danelectro Longhorn, which seldom gets played. It works fine except for the damn input jack. It doesn't sound bad, either, it just doesn't compare to my other basses.
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got 2 Longhorns in the studio. They're great little basses! Not great 'quality', but good price/value factor. I love them. They're short scale, but that can be kind of fun. The hollow body and artificial materials combine for some unique tone; not everybody digs it. Kinda light in the lows, very twangy, retro-ish sounding. Extremely light. Strap pegs have been known to pop out, I glued mine in.
    I don't think I'd abuse one too hard, don't know that it'd hold up. But if you're halfway polite to it, I think it'd make a good backup bass.
    Played a DC model today for the first time. Long scale, 2 lipstick P'ups. Very nice also. Similar tone, though more highs were available. Funky looking also. I think either of these models would be good backups, especially if you could find one used...
    not sure if they're still in production.

Haven't played the Rumor yet.
  4. Hey Wild Bill(one of MY nicks too :D )!

I have a dano rumor strung w/ flats and it sounds really nice!Personally,I like the looks of the dano Longhorn and the DC3 basses better than the rumor but...soundwise the Rumor sounded much better(to me)even with the stock rounds on her.
    Be warned though,the body shape is not the most comfortable to play.Standing and playing is less a pain than sitting/learning new matierial.Just my opinion.

Yes,they are fairly cheaply made but still can get some nice sounds out there.I`ve been playing my dano exclusively for a few weeks now(the P needs strings/set up/new picguard)and she does the job.

My opinion:Danos make nice second/backup basses.I maily got mine as a vehicle for flatwounds(`s trade in thang!).

5. Kdelariva

Aug 4, 2004
    i have a danelectro rumor. for the 150 i believe i payed for it, it sounds good. i mean its not going to be the best sounding bass you have, but the price is the good thing.

ive played it in a punk band where i tend to go off with i guess you could call them "punkish bass lines" and it got a nice response. ive had other bass players ask me how much it cost me, and they seemed surprise taht the price was that low. its good quality for a cheap price. not studio quality maybe, but for small gigs/ practice, works fine.
  6. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I was looking at the Danelectro web sit erecently and they didn't show any guitars or basses, just effects. Has dano stopped making instruments!? :confused:
  7. i was wondering aswell, where can i find some danelectro basses/guitars on line. i was interested in getting one but i havent been able to find a site.. any help helps..

8. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    They've been out of production for a while now. Their prices are slowly climbing. A good place to find NOS is www.danoguitars.com

I've got a DC bass and a Hodad, both long scale and I love em both.
  9. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yeah, seems like it.
    And a PITY it is!! :( :bawl: