Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Danelectro's Longhorn is back!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steak'n'roll, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Hey, I just went to danelectro's web site and they're making the Longhorn this year!

Danelectro normally make 1 type of guitar or bass a year. Last year, they were selling guitars.

I'm wondering if they are going to sound as good as the vintages ones?

http://www.danelectro.com/

2. i wonder where you can get them

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

That blueburst is nice.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I enjoy the limo black.

5. when I start my 60s psychedelia band

I'ma have to pick up a longhorn

6. and i would hope they are quality for 600 dollars, then again that is suggested retail

7. If the pictures are accurate, they did not fix the important issues (see below). It looks the same as my (last production run) Longhorn pro reissue with the following changes:

1. Controls changed from 2 concentric volume/tone knobs to a pickup selector plus master volume and tone
    2. Headstock shape changed
    3. Looks like a less rounded body shape (I like it)
    4. Different colors and maybe the vinyl is gone

If the picture is accurate, they didn't fix the two most glaring problems with the instrument (I can live with them but it is a hassle):

1. The neck must come off to adjust the truss rod
    2. That bridge, while adjustable for intonation, has pretty much zero range of adjustment for string height.

If I ever get my hands on one, I can do a real world comparison.

Peace,
    S

8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Honestly, I'm gonna be a little pissed if the vinyl is gone (which it appears to be).

9. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    +1!
    :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm in the no-vinyl camp. :)

I always thought the Longhorn design was never exploited enough. All the vintage vibe is cool, but eventually for me it becomes not necessary when other choices would make the bass a higher performing design.

That hollow body design is super light and really can yield a whole bunch of cool tones. The rest of the bass, for me, needed improvements:
    - Far better tuners
    - Adjustable bridge
    - No vinyl - looked like masking tape to me
    - Higher output pickups
    - Possible models that capped the thin hollow body with some flamed maple or other woods that could take a translucent finish.

That last one is not necessary, but for me, the rest were.

But, that body shape and design are awesome, and begging for other neighbors. :cool:

11. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Well, what I wish they'd do is what DiPinto does for the Belvedere bass- the sides are white and the top is black, which is a big part of the Dano look for me- without using the tape.
    [​IMG]

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Very sweet. Good suggestion.

Too bad we couldn't get a Dano person here, like the TBC'er here. I tried going to the Dano website to look for a place to write, but I couldn't one, beyond getting on their mailing list.

13. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Yeah, the Dano site is kinda...poopy. I couldn't find any more pics, a dealers list, any contacts, etc.

14. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder... IMO, some of the things that make the Longhorn a great bass are the same things that folks want to change... Tape, tuners, bridge, pickups... they're all part of the total package...

The 'Cheese' factor is very much a part of the mojo that these basses have... I mean, Masonite as a body material?? C'mon!! I'm also a fan of the earlier, 'Rosewood Slab' bridge piece... remember, these were originally some of the 'First Act' type guitars of their day, (Well, the 'Silvertones' anyway)... I guess that a big part of the attraction for me is that they're made with sub-par parts and make no apologies for it...

I mentioned in another thread that I had recently re-acquired my old Limo Black '00 reissue, and lemme tell you, I'm not going to be letting it go any time soon! It just nails the 'roots' vibe that I am going for in my band. Definitely my favorite recently...

-robert

15. I actually prefer the rosewood bridge in some ways - at least I can adjust it with a file and some sandpaper. No problem with the pickups, I was just comparing them to JJs because someone asked. The big problem I have with the Kluson type tuners on the standard reissues is the plastic knobs that break. I believe a lot of the original Danos had Kluson style tuners with metal knobs - much better wrt breakage.

There definately is nothing else like the cheapo Dano body - that is why I mentioned the difference in the feel and resonance when compared to the JJs body. IMO they each have a different feel, vibe and sound. I would have a hard time getting rid of my Dano to get a JJ because they are not the same, even though I like the JJ and think it is a more solid instrument.

Heck, I'm still holding out for Commie Red. Mine is the purple metalic that looks black in regular room lighting.

Peace,
    S

16. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Here are my Joneses, Longhorn and Longhorn BassVI.
    [​IMG]