Dang dog…(dog angst thread)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    My cute little puppy is on my "S" list. He's about 6 months old - a Dalmatian / lab mix. The little bugger chewed up my sunglasses, a nice pair of polarized Oakley Jackets that I love for fishing and driving and pretty much every day use. I had left them on the sill of the bedroom window and gone to sleep with the window open and no screen on it (Puppy sleeps outside in his dog house) and when I woke up, puppy had found my shades and had his fun with them during the night. He didn't totally destroy them, but he might as well have. I found them with a lens out of the frames and the little rubber ear pieces off of the frames as well. There is an annoying scratch right in my field of vision on one lens, lots of chew marks on the rubber ear pieces and a few chew marks on the frames. They are still wearable, which is quite a testament to the construction of these things, but there is something not right about wearing shades that cost 200 bones when new that have now been chewed up by a dog. Dog-gone dog. I'm pretty much blaming myself for leaving them within his reach - He didn't know any better - I mean, I've never specifically trained him not to eat expensive eyewear. I'm wondering: Is there any way to train a dog to not chew on random items that are left within his reach or is this just a "pups will be pups" kind of thing?
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Get him chew toys. simple as that. as long as they have something to chew.. they leave other shnit alone.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    It's a pups-will-be-pups thing. Just toss him a bone or two and he'll get it out of his system in a year or two.
  4. Put tabasco sauce on anything you don't want chewed. You will smell a bit funky, but the dog'll leave you alone.

Seriously, dogs can be trained to not chew, but it only works if you catch 'em in the act. Shout lots, make it clear with your tone that you're angry. Don't hit. Like Mike said, chew toys are your friend. And good luck, puppies are pure hell.

Dan, your official dog trainer. :smug:
  5. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    just give the little guy a sip of an antifreeze and pinapple juice cocktail. They love that and it makes them nice and still.
  6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

I wish that were completely true - he had no less than six chew toys including various rubber toys, some that squeek, some that don't, and a raw hide chew bone all in the yard with him at the time that he got my shades.

I try to scold him anytime I catch him chewing anything other than his toys and then I follow that up with getting him a toy and then praising him for chewing on his toys - he just seem a bit slow in "getting" it.

I think Govithoy is right - it is just dogs being dogs and there's nothing I can really do unless I catch him in the act. The Tabasco or pepper thing doesn't really apply becasue if I would have had the presence of mind to coat the glasses with tobasco, I probably would have just removed them from the window sill instead. But I might need to use that tactic on other items (furniture) as I work with him more on inside the house behavior.

and Slick - NO POISON FOR MY PUP! :spit:

He may chew on stuff sometimes, but he's so cute and smart, I know he can learn not to.
  7. I just had some dog get into my backyard and try to attack my cats. Forgive me if I also suggest to poison your dog.

8. That's the perfect way to do it. We train Guide Dogs for the blind here, and that's the method we use. It'll take time though, he's only a baby! Ya just gotta put up with it till he gets it. Hey the tabasco was a joke! There is actually some stuff you can use as repellent on table legs, doors etc. We just use antiseptic! :bag:
  9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Puppies destroy everything. For example:

I had a dog that was less than a year old when we moved into a new house. I had a waterbed that was quite cozy. I was out for the weekend, and because my dog was having issues with not waiting to be put outside to go to the bathroom, my mom put my dog in my bedroom while she was out. Putting the dog outside without supervision wasn't an option, because the neighbors have a history of calling Animal Control to ferry away roaming dogs. Anyway, my mother returned from an evening out, and opened the door to my bedroom to find standing water covering the floor. My blasted dog had pulled the sheets off of my bed, pulled the nozzle to the waterbed mattress up, chewed the top off, and was bouncing up and down on the mattress, which of course causes water to shoot out of the aforementioned broken nozzle. Needless to say, she was less than amused.

I love that dog, despite the loss of my waterbed. Oh well... they're bad for your back anyway.