Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dang it!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tuBass, Jan 16, 2003.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I bought a replacement short scale neck for my son's bass from ebay. It said it was a fender copy, so I figured it would fit my son's bronco bass. It won't work at all! the neck screw holes at the bottom are in the wrong place, and if I was going to install it, I would have to make MAJOR changes to the pocket of his bass, and if the neck was bad, I couldn't go back. many of the frets are nearly worn flat, and I am dissapointed. About all I could use it for is if I was going to make a ne bass from scratch just to fit this neck, which I'm not going to do.
    it's really too bad, because this neck would have looked great with the bass. it's a red bass, with a black pickguard.

Mark
    here is the original ebay auction

2. Hey mods, maybe send this over to Setup. There might be a few answers over there!

:D:D

Merls

3. I checked out the ebay site - 1st thing I noticed is that it did say it was a Fender JAZZ bass neck. Out of curiosity, what is wrong with the original neck?

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    absolutly nothing, except it says says "squier" on the headstock, and I have done so much custom work to this bass, I don't consider it a squier anymore. The replacement neck has a black headstock and black inlays, which would have looked SWEEEEEEEEET on the Bronco.

playing wise, the old neck is actually surprisingly good.
    I'll have pictures in a couple of days of the next generations of modification, including two humbuckers, stacked volume knobs, and an improved bridge. I have also made a new pickguard for it, in black for a red bass

Mark

5. tuBass,

I edited my above-post while you were replying...

My daughter had a Bronco bass for some time, and it was an excellent bass. I used it myself fairly often and I really liked the feel of the neck. The Squier label never really bothered me because I'm not really into the brand games. My daughter got a few nasty comments from kids in school regarding her Squier Bronco, but she got up on stage one day and nobody ever said anything about her bass again. I try to impress upon her that it's not what you play, but how you play.

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    You know I saw that Jazz bass thing, but I didn't think that Fender, (or anybody else) ever made a jazz copy in short scale.
    I really assumed it to be a repalcement neck for a musicmaster or a mustang, both of which should fit the bronco.

My main gripes with the bronco were the bridge, the hum, and the cheesy white pickguard. Mostly the Hum, so that when i added the neck humbucker, but it was too "necky" sounding, so I am adding a bridge pickup now.
    Glad your daughter likes her bronco, my son also wants to replace the headstock with a personalized message. His first nomination is the word rockin'. I'll keep the polls open for a while.

Mark

7. You can always sand out the original label and print your own on Avery clear sticker paper as I did with this Squier Affinity P-bass:
    [​IMG]

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    That's great looking, where did you get your graphic? could you e-mail it to me?

The clear label idea is great.

Mark

9. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Thanks, I probably won't go with "fender" even though the new bridge pickup is a fender noiseless. I'll have to come up with something new and different with my son. We'll make it one of our little projects. He's only six so I better make the new decal something that when (not if) he wants something else on there we can.

Mark